Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a good cb??

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by JunkYardCrawler, May 20, 2001.

1. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

what is a good cb to get. i don't know to much about them. other than you pick up the talky thing and talk. and that some have a hook up for a PA. i want to know what to look for in a cb with a PA. like what are the good brands and the ones to stay away from. and stuf like that. and how to get the most out of one. which ones will work in the middle of no where in a place with lots of mountians. and so forth. thanx

2. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Man thats alot of questions. Cobra, Midland, Galaxy all are good. Look up CB in your search engine. There are several general pages with great info

79 Blazer 6"lift 38 SX's locked/4:56 <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.keith.coloradok5.com>http://www.keith.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

depending on how much you spend, you can get almost anything you want in a CB. ofr longer distance communicaitons, I'd reccomend getting one that does Single Side bands ( SSB ) which also gives you 120 total operating channels... the way it works is it splits the signal carrier wave so you have an upper side band ( usb) and lower side band (LSB) as well as the standard AM signal on each channel. the advantages to SSB are they can legaly broadcast at 10 watts, as opposed to the standard 4 watt maximum for standard AM CB communications. the only setback is both people need to have SSB in order for it to work properly. you can hear peopel from the side bands, its just they sound either liek donald duck, or darth vader, depending on what band they're in, and htey're mostly incomprehensible.

another good option is a built in Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) meter. this allows for you to check your SWR to your Antenna and hopefully get it tuned out to the lowest possible ratio. ( you're aiming for 1, which is the lowest you can get) this not only gives you the loudest, cleanest signal, it also helps prolong the life of your radio, and keep you from burning it out.

a backlit control panel is a nice option too, since it allows you to read all the control knobs and see what you;re doing at night. I know Cobra's come wiht this option, and would assume midlands, unidens, galaxy's, and whatever else there is would have this option too.

also, look for something that has a good set of noise reduction controls on it. at the very least, you want an analog noise blocker to block out the noise of your distributor fireing, although there are several other nice setups out there, liek cobra's soundtracker.

other then that, read reviews, try some at the store if you can, check into a few CB shops at truckstops, and ask thier opinions of verious brands, and work from there. I currently run a Cobra 138-GTL ( I think... not entirely sure if thats the model number) which has built in SSB, SWR, PA, `Sound tracker' noise reduciton, and etc.

-Rich

Visualize an atlantic 442 Steam engine running at full tilt here...

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Is the 10 watts a guess ?
    Me thinks its 4 watts AM, and 12 Watts PEP Sideband !

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure its 4 for AM, and 10 for SSB. I think I remember reading that on some web page that detailed how to get a few more watts from your CB. &lt;shrug&gt; its all irrelevant when you've got a linear for when things get quiet....

tested the range on mine yesterday, and was transmitting/recieveing clearly for 4 miles, without the linear, although it started getting quiet. after turning th elinear and incoming signal booster on, I was doing 8 between me N my friend... gave it up when I heard someone irate about hearing a big radio bleeding over to the next channel up....

-Rich

6. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Which linear are you running and what size?

79 Blazer 6"lift 38 SX's locked/4:56 <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.keith.coloradok5.com>http://www.keith.coloradok5.com</A>

7. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

thanx that helps out alot. now i jsut got to figure out what all this jibberish is.

8. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

running a Tiger 200, and without knowing anything about it, I think the trucker I bought the setup from said it was a 200 watt amp, which would make sense ( I can hear it through my tweeters even with the radio off, if I go for full power)

-Rich

9. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

My two cents. CB's are poor communication at best over distances. Line O' site mostly. Get a 35$ Uniden, Light Weight Firestik, Firestik Mount and Cable, buy a SWR meter and tune it or have a friend who knows how do it. Don't power your CB up until all is hooked up at tested.

10. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I like my setup - a handheld CB in the console, a 5 watt Motorola HT1000 VHF handheld - It can usually hit the local Sheriff's Office's repeater from a range of 150 miles, and a permanent mounted cell phone. I'm bound to get ahold of somebody[​IMG] And if all of that fails, I've got a portable strobe light for marking helicopter LZ's, a signal mirror, a flare gun, and several dye markers.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Jeez Pugs, if you need that sharkbait, ooops I mean dye markers, you're really in a world of hurt...

<font color=red>Click those banners and help support CK5!!<font color=black>
    [​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

12. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

The scary thing is - I have no clue where they came from! I was at a rope rescue course, and when I got home they were in my gear bag. They've been laying behind the spare tire, just waiting to have something done with them - maybe tossed in the lake when the Jet-Skiers get a bit too heavy?!?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If you do toss them in the water, be aware that they'll make a brightly-colored spot roughly 50yds diameter, and anything that touches the dye (clothes, skin, HAIR,, etc.) will be stained for a long time to come!

14. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a vicious prank - Hmmmm[​IMG] (whistling innocently)

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

DISCLAIMER-- <font color=red>Posts by "jarheadk5" are in no way directive in nature. All information given is for informational purposes only. The user of any information taken from posts by "jarheadk5" assumes any and all responsibility and liability for any and all repercussions resulting from misuse of said information. The author assumes NO liability or responsibility for the use or misuse of any and all information posted by "jarheadk5".<font color=black>[​IMG][​IMG]

OK, now that that's out of the way... Prank away!![​IMG]

16. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've really been tempted to toss one out in the snow during the winter - What could say Christmas Spirit better than green snow?

17. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

Ive got an RCI 2950 and a pallimar 400 amp, Ive got rg-58(18feet) wire running to a 102 steel whip, on lower side band Ive talke to Arizona So, Cali , Kentucky, and Im in North Idaho,, love em,,

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.

18. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I need to get a CB for my new truck, but not until I get some windows in it, hehe... although I suppose I could just have hte antenna setup, and mounting bracket for the CB, and swap it between the 2 as needed, since I can
    1. only drive 1 at a time
    2. only have need for 1 radio at a time,
    3. no one is ever going to drive my rigs.... even if my legs are broken, and there;s no other way out... we'll Idle the entire trail back, with me at the wheel....

-Rich

19. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

I recently picked up a Ranger Communications TR966 (SSB, it comes with a hookup for a frequency counter if you want one, PA connection). Seems to get out pretty good... I don't run any linear or any sort of amplification of that sort, and the antenna I run is the Wilson 5000... This combo seems to work well. With the work done to it the cost came to about $180... A bit pricey to be using in a rig intended for only trail use but if you drive on the road a lot, a good unit can be worth it. It replaced my $50 (including peak and tune) Uniden Pro510xl. That one didn't have SSB or the PA option and a sort of crappy meter (4 LED's rather than a gage). Also a good unit though, got out decent. Just figured it'd be time for a change. Make sure you read the instructions of whatever you get and make sure to ground the chassis of it to the body if you didn't mount it to metal... Makes a world of difference.

20. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I got a Galaxy 44 and I love it! Its tweaked quite a bit and transmits near 40watts without a liner amp. I also have the echo tweak so that at full blast a single hello will resonate about 8-9 times ;) I havent installed it in the blazer yet because everything doesnt lock as well as it should and until then my expensive unit is not going in.

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer