Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a good deal on a used snap on box. update: it is now home

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by rdn2blazer, May 3, 2006.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

my snap on dealer just told me of a guy that has had a KRL1023 box where the powder coat at the bottom of the box is starting to lift from the cleaning crew at a dealership hosing the shop floor down. the owner of the box was unhappy about it so they warantied out a new box for him. its an 8500 doller box that he will sell to me for 4200. he said other then the paint it still has the lifetime waranty on all the components and the box it self. what ya think, should I take it or what? also its the box I have wanted too :doah:. its hard to pass up for 1/2 off. its only 1 1/2 yr old.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  2. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Honestly, I wouldnt even pay 1k for those type of tool boxes. If that thing is 8500 new and your getting it 1/2 off. I'd see how much they go for on ebay and see if I could make a good profit :).

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd be on that box like flies on ****. Snap-on boxes are overpriced but they are nice boxes and you won't find a comparable box for the half off price you can get this one at.

4. 84zz4ss

84zz4ss 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Warranty boxes are usually a good deal. Just be sure to protect the damaged area.

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

azzkicker... youre obvioously not a mechanic....

GET IT!!! thats a hell of a deal... nothing beats a snap-on box ive got a matco 3 bay 72" and im just waiting to pay it off so i can get a snap-on

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I agree... you can do a "reasonable" repair to the affected area... thats the roll cab i wish i had... You will not be disappointed in the KRL series, bar none, the best box you can get... the drawers work better when you put a 100 lbs in em...

It's been funny at work cuz I've been working out of my side locker until we get in the big shop and and all the other guys thought my side locker was so cool, 2 of them have now bought Mac versions for their boxes...

shoot me a pm later on about repairing the area if you want... I did a similar repair on a buds red krl years ago that had been damaged by acid washed floors...

7. rdn2blazer

should take delevery of it wendsday. I went and looked at it and the area missing coating is so minimal is stupid. the guy that ownes the box even tried to change the deal cause he did not want to go to the trouble of changing over all his tools and side locker to the new box so he asked my dealer if I would be willing to still buy through snap on the original 4200 cost and give him 1500 cash and take the new replacement box that was delivered allready. so a brand new identical box for 5700 would be that deal, which is still a good deal, but I declined because I would rather pay 4200 period for the box, his "used" box is perfect. I told my dealer I wanted the used box instead so he told the guy to clear it out. snap on ownes the used box since they delivered a new one allready. the used box is actually only 11 months old.

8. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

True, but even if I was I sure as hell wouldnt pay 4500 for one of those and 8500 for their new price is just ridiculous. I like to spend my money wisely. That Box has probably under 500.00 worth of parts and their selling it for 8500. Please!

I have a limit on how much I'm getting screwed :) But I guess to others its worth ever penny. Don't see how though.

9. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

I can see the difference between a snap on or matco boxes compared to cheap $1000 and under boxes, but I dont get how they can be $8500.

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Well, think of it this way:

Dude paid $8500 for a Snap-On KRL-series rollcab. ELEVEN MONTHS LATER, he whines to the Snap-On rep about THE PAINT coming off a couple spots because of his employer's clean-up crew. Snap-On GIVES HIM a new rollcab under warranty.
    Part of what that $8500 paid for was a no-questions-asked warranty. Try returning a toolbox to Sears 11 months after you bought it, because the paint's coming off a couple spots. You won't get very far...

BTW, high-quality, heavy-duty, ball-bearing drawer slides cost about $50 EACH. 17 drawers (with 2 slides each) x $50 = $1700.

I do agree that $8500 is a lot of money for a toolbox... but when you make your living with it, your perspectives change.

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

agreed, Snap On's warranty is like no other. a friend of mine had a Snap On box built in the early 70s. the drawer guides went bad, and he had them replaced, at no charge.

perspectives change dramatically when your bread and butter depends on that toolbox. ask me 3 years ago if there would be a Snap On box in my garage. no way, i'd never spend that kind of money on a toolbox! guess what? the Craftsman cheapies werent cutting it anymore, and i needed something good. $4800 later, i've got a toolbox that i could pass on to my great grandkids.

12. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Although I think they are overpriced they do represent that a professional is willing to spend the money on his tools to do the job... better than the corner wrench with a HF box.. (although I have several of their largest industrial versions and Im very happy with them)

Powdercoat is an easy fix...I used to get jobs like that all the time when I owned a powder company.... but I think it might be a pain to empty the box ..remove the trays/drawers.. remove the wheels.. and any logos just to fix it.. I would get a sample and have a can of wet paint made to match it.. snap on might even sell touch up spray cans
    I definately agree... and I like their ad where they put a 10 wheeler dump truck on top of 4 rollaways... and have the "why we are better " description against the other guys

Id say get it if it makes you happy and proud

cam

13. rdn2blazer

Im getting it for sure. have any of you seen their DVD of the tool box comparison?, their box against Craftsman, Mac, Matco, and Cornwell. each one is their top box of similar size. you see the proof with your own two eyes. the snap on box is the best box IMHO period. should get tomorrow (Wendsday)I hope. will post pics as soon as I do get it.

14. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

You think their DVD would show otherwise? :rolleyes:

I bet with enough thought, Crafstman could put out a similar DVD showing THEIR! boxes are better.

15. rdn2blazer

well obviously not but atleast there showing some kind of compasison that does show tests being done under identicle situations, no one else is. so what kind of box do you have?

16. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Good score dude. I was ecstatic when I got my free toolbox (Waterloo 14 drawer). First rollaround I ever owned. I had to turn down a similar deal to the one you're getting because I just don't have the money.

Don't forget to mic the sides, and bring some magnets!

17. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You have nooo clue man... The best Craftsmen box made isn't even remotely close to a KRL...

If you had to slide drawers open with 100lbs or so in em 50 times a day, you'd understand what we're talking about.. But you don't, so you, yup, have no clue.. Put that kinda load in a Craftsmen and the drawer slides will be screaming...

18. rdn2blazer

well it is sitting in my garage finally. only have a teaser pic of it. it sure is perdy :laugh: , and a big SOB. had to do a quick rearrange job so I could fit it into the garage. this weekend I will transfer my tool to it after I give it a good cleaning. I found out the other day that the box I was getting is not the one pictured like I thought in my original post but the only difference is instead of the two full width top drawers mine has the one deep top full width drawer but the next is two drawer, just like the two banks of drawers under it. so it actually has one more drawer the the one pictured in the original thread.

at first I was kinda bumbed but then I thought hell its the same box so what if it does not have two top full width drawers, I am getting a great deal as far as I am concerned. I still want to get the stainless steel top for it. the guy had one on it but transfered it to the new warrentied box so I guess I have to buy my own. I am attempting to download my first pic from home, hope it works, usually do it from work.

COOL, IT WORKED!, thats my tube bumper I have not finished yet sitting on top of the box.

Dscn1103.JPG

19. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Nice box, congrats on the new toy box! Some guys get all the cool stuff... ;)

20. rdn2blazer

lol, thanks Russ :waytogo: