Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A good jump box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazingboy, Mar 11, 2003.

1. blazingboy

blazingboy 1/2 ton status

I am looking for a good portable jump box I could carry in my truck anybody know of a good one for under a $100.

2. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

So... what's a "jump box" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

A battery booster?

4. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I have a Snap on one. I also bought one from Costco for my
    Boat both were under 100.00 best deal was from costco.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Costco had one this weekend for sub 75 bucks. not the most compact of sizes, and interestingly featured. It has a built in tire gauge.

I got mine from K-mart for 100 bucks, but it came with a rather snazzy package, lights, an AC inverter, a battery gauge, and charging source from both an AC adapter and a cigarette lighter. It even had two slots for an AA battery on each clamp for lights so you can see the terminals in the dark.

If you really want to save money, make your own. I've taken one apart, and its nothing more than a battery with two clamps attached. you can get sealed lead acid batteries (the same ones inside) for under 20 dollars from allelectronics.com

6. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Harbor Freight sells them pretty cheap.

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

For what, lawnmowers? I have yet to find one that can start my truck. I tried on my Dad's box with a giant lithium battery in it and all that happened was the 8 gauge cables got hot and the insulators got greasy. It probably would've started it if it was 70° and sunny.

He uses it for a DC power source for coolers, lights, et cetera which it works great for. Oh, and when one of the tractors or lawnmowers is dead. It's kind of useless to start a V8 in cold weather.

If you're looking for an insurance policy for your truck just buy another battery and a battery isolator. One battery goes dead the other one will start it with one jumper cable.

8. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

I do agree with Wrath. Buy the larget amperage rated one you can afford. If your battery is just run down some from maybe your radio or headlights being left on they will usually fire on over unless it is extremely cold. On diesels it's a whole other story. We use these a lot at work and haven't found one yet that will turn a dead diesel over. It's hard to beat a set of good cables with a 100 amp Chevy altenator behind them.

9. blazingboy

blazingboy 1/2 ton status

Yeah I guess I could just get another battery I got a good one that came out of a T-bird it's a big battery. So where can I get a isolator and how much are they.