Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A Grinding or Rattling noise???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eagle, May 1, 2000.

1. Eagle

Eagle Registered Member

I hope that someone can help me. I am getting noise that is emanating from my 4 wheel drive shifter. This noise is best described as a very fast rattling noise or a grinding. It is VERY noticeable at highway speeds. (with or without the gas applied) If you hold the 4 wheel drive shifter you reduce the noise but you can still faintly hear it. I have a NP205 with a turbo 400 trany. Could the linkage be vibrating loss or is my transfer case about to bite the dust? One more thing. When I put the truck in reverse and then in drive I hear and feel a loud bang. I know that sounds like the trany but I had it checked out and was found to be in good condition. Any help would be great appreciative.

There is a VERY fine line between hobby and mental illness

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Welcome to the world of SHIFTER RATTLES. It is your transfer case shift lever, depending on the year of yours, some came with plastic bushing that went over the bolt and came between the shifter hole and the bolt. Some did not. Mine rattles like hell, I have another shifter and bolt with bushings that I have just not had time to install. Best thing I can tell you is to take it off and go to the hardware store with the bolt and shifter, find a set of thin bushings that will fit over the bolt and between the shifter hole, you can always enlarge the hole a little to make them fit. That and a good coat of thick grease should keep you in business.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>