Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A Guide to SEARCHING ColoradoK5.com Forums

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scrappy88, Aug 30, 2005.

1. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

A guide to searching ColoradoK5.com Forums:

I see a lot of new threads started here that have been answered a million times over the years. Questions like "how strong is my 10 bolt" or "what lift do I need to clear 35's" etc. Many of these say they have searched the forums but didn't find what they are looking for.

There is a HUGE amount of information in these forums, going back to 2000. The key to finding what you're looking for (and it is more than likely in here somewhere) is the search and understanding how it works. It is a bit tricky and often doesn't bring up what you are looking for right away. So here are a couple tips on how to outsmart the search feature:

1) Common search words and exact phrases. There are a number of words that will be omitted from a search phrase simply because they are considered too common.

Take for example a search for center pin. After doing that search the forum will display up in the header "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: pin". So what you get is just a search for the word center and that probably won't get you anywhere. If you aren't finding what you're looking for, be sure to check if the search is omitting some of your search terms. If it is, try and search for the exact phrase by enclosing it in quotes: "center pin". This will turn up threads that contain the exact phrase center pin even though the forum would normally omit the term pin.

You can combine exact phrase searches with regular searches to further narrow the results down. For example, if you want to search for the phrase "center pin" and the words spring and bolt you would simply type "center pin" spring bolt into the search field. One note about doing this: When doing a search like this, the forum will only highlight the terms that aren't in quotes. I'm not sure why.

2) Wildcard searches. Another thing about the forums here is the fact that the search feature will not find words within words. For example, let's say you wanted to search for the word shock or tire. Searching for terms like that will turn up shock and tire but not shocks or tires. Get around this using wildcards: Search for shock* and it'll come up with shock, shocks, shocked, shocking, etc.

You can combine wildcard searches with exact phrase searches ONLY if the wildcard is NOT part of the exact phrase in quotes. For example: searching for "shock mount*" will not work. Searching for "shock mount" spring* will work fine, returning results that contain the exact phrase shock mount AND any word starting with spring (springs, springy, springer etc.) Wildcards can be used before, after, or in the middle of a word.

Learn these and you'll have much better results, and will probably never have to ask "can I fit 35s on a 2 inch lift" again.

If anyone has more tips on searching please post them up here. :thumb:

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Sticky this :thumb:

3. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dito that.
    Good job
    :waytogo::waytogo::waytogo:

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

I Agree Please Use The Search And We Will Help If Needed After That. Thanks Have A Great Day All.:d

5. FWP

FWP CRS

If you want to find a 3 letter word or acronym like TBI, use TBI* ;)

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Definately! :waytogo:

7. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

so....how much lift will clear 35's????? :haha: :haha: :haha:

8. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Great tip...:waytogo:

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wow, I didn't know the second tip. Def. sticky this.

10. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Sticky!!!

11. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I also didnt know that second tip. This post should be a sticky.

12. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

ttt. Thanks Scrappy88. :D

13. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Isn't it also correct say that if you search for say shock tower that you will get results for posts with either shock or tab or both shock and tab but if you search for shock +tab you only get posts with both terms in them.

14. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Hmm :thinking: I come up with the same results searching for shock tower and shock +tower. I think it automatically searches for shock and tower rather than shock or tower.

Also as FWP pointed out, any 1 to 3 letter word or acronym you should follow up with a * because it looks like the search ignores all words less than 4 letters.

15. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I guess it is just habit. Some search engines auto include the "+" or "and" I guess this is one of them.

16. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

back up top

17. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

this needs to stay on page 1

yep yep uh huh! newbies take heed i know i'm a newb myself but most just go to posting without ever searching it seem..thats why this was on page 7 and 1-6 had at least2-3 questions basically the same on each page

18. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

19. 6.2LTrailblazer84

6.2LTrailblazer84 1/2 ton status

You guys might want to consider making somekind of thread guide for the best threads or the most commonly asked questions because sometimes it is difficult to find somehting in a search. For example, I was trying to find a thread about oil for Diesels but doing a search for either of those key words would get you nowhere. I am sure there are a lot of other topics like this too.