Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A Hard Sell for Beefyness

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dammit32, Jan 21, 2003.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

Recently I came across a set of 1 ton military axles that would put my gearing up to top notch in my eyes. This will put my gearing up to the level I wanted to support my 35's and leave the door open for larger tires, however, this mod seems harder than most mods to sell on the home front. Most of the mods I have done had easy selling points(larger tires so I can get around more, better brakes ect). But this mod has my family and freinds puzzled. They all ask if I REALLY need the axles. I calmly tell them that with the larger tire I need the heavier axles to support them.

With all the 10-12 bolt breakages seen here on other boards I dont think I'm beyond reason.

Does anyone else have problems like these? LOL

2. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Who cares what they think, as long as you're not married or have kids;) go for it. I usually don't tell people how much I spent on my parts. If I told my family that I dropped $3K on my truck within the last 3 months (which is true /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) I'd probably be living in it!

3. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

The only people that understand why I do what I do with/to my rig are the people on this site.

When I try to explain it to anyone else, they look at me like I'm speaking another language.

Just do it and explain it visually after you're done. Unless you're having trouble getting funding from the folks, that's a diffent story.
    If in fact that is the case, tell that how good of deal it is you're getting.
    You can also, let them know that with you running 35s, they can expect to buy you a new set of axles in a few years (if not sooner) anyway.

Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Drain the oil out of your diffs in the middle of the night, and lock the hubs. When she screeches to a halt, its time for new axles /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The problem is the other mods are justified since its merely an upgrade of a consumable item. Front and rear axle assemblies are not in the realm of "consumables" for most people. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

If they dont understand, dont bother telling them anything. I've got lots of friends like that. I just dont advertise what I'm doing and it works out because they either dont understand or dont care. The friends that do understand, they come over and help. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

that sucks, i have a father and a few close friends who know exactly what this hobby costs....now the girlfriend...thats a totally different story "what was wrong with your old springs" "I didnt like 'em"

Ryan

8. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Just break the part, see now you you have to get it repaired and everybody will understand that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The larger axle to support the tire is a good reason, but an even better reason is that the brakes are much larger and will make the truck safer. Then you can start selling them on how easy the deisc conversion is for the 14 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

For 35's yes it's a hard sell. To begin with to get back to the clearence you have with 35's and a 12 you need to be up to 38's. When you go to 38's then yes it's tha way to go for sure because you need the beef. your int the gray area right now. Junk yard axle shafts are cheap and you would probably go for a LONG time before you even come close to paying for the D60 maybe never if you leave the front open. It's going to set you back $3k on avarage to go to 1 ton by the time you add in wheels, moutning up ect unless your just getting a killer deal on the axles.
    My proof is Robzilla and Marv Springer. There is nobody here that will dispute those two are damn hard on stuff and both are still on D44 and 12's, Both run doublers and both on 35's. Rob as busted one front axle shaft in the last 2 years. They buit up to the limit of those parts and are doing fine. Steve Watson also stayed 1/2 ton gear for a long time till he went for the big meats.
    As for the gearing...I'm all for 4.56 with a 700R4 with 35 inch tires. It will let you use you over drive and take a lot of the strain off the tranny. It's a good combo.

11. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

you're supposed to tell them first? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif OOps! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Swapping out to 1 ton axles is a big jump for most. For it to really be appreciated you need a side by side comparison, like going on trail runs with others running large tires and 1/2 ton axles. Almost every time, sometimes more than once, someone will bust a front or rear 1/2 ton axle on 35's or less (in one manner or another) and those running 1 ton gear get their bragging rights. You'll find that you still end up fixing axles on the trail (like a good wheeler should) but at least it wont be yours that your helping to fix. Come to think of it, I've only been on one trip where someones 1/2 ton axle didn't spit parts.

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I guess I have it better then most. I guess since I'm building another 1 ton K5 for my wife she understands more then most people do about the cost of this. Also she is the one that keeps pushing me toward building a 1 ton Jeep for compatition use. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif There is only one thing we do not agree on, she likes to play in the mud and I like the rocks. I don't really mind mud but I hate cleaning it out from the underside. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. Sandman

I have, and it was mostly posers that I didnt know were coming along. I dont mind helping people out and using the winch but jeese, I mainly went to go wheeling. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. aandpman

aandpman 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hello everyone. My name is Mike and I'm a heavy metal addict. Oh, I didn't start out with trucks. For me it was tinkertoys and erector sets. I just had to keep building stuff more and more sturdy.
    Then came the Radio Flyer....I know..I know...it was just a wagon but it was CRYING OUT for pneumatic tires...Then I progressed to bicycles...then my first oldsmobile, then the 83 F*rd....That was my downfall....when my friend Mark turned me on to the hard stuff. It was so beautiful....I mean there I was walking down that creek bank back in 1982....and suddenly....the most beautiful thing I had ever seen....A blue and silver Ford stepside with 40's churning down the middle of the creek.....I was a goner....I HAD to have some of that.
    Needless to say my life has never been the same since.

Then came my 83 F*rd stepside with G4speed and 300-I6. I just couldn't leave well enough alone. Who in their right mind would put a hideous TTB front end under such a marvelous machine...well that soon went in favor of a D-44 and D-60 rear...35's...cam...split header...

Then came the marriage and A&amp;P school. I had to stuff my compulsion for many years when I traded the F*rd /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif for an 83 Toyota for "economic reasons". But I put up with the hurt (and breaking stuff) as long as I could /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. Finally I fell off the wagon, and insisted that I find an old chevy "because it was cheaper to maintain" /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif(he he he). Now I'm hopelessly fallen and I can't get up. The TanK10 has been my salvation and NObody is going to take it away from me...ever again....I'm not hurting anyone but myself...I can control these urges. So what....I bought a 14BFF and D-44 3 years ago and still haven't installed them...But I WILL...I can taste it...it's so close...Now with the Detroit...BWAHAHAHAHAHA...Soon I'll RULE THE WORLD...AND You CK5 Cads and E-BAY will HELP ME.......(trails off in indiscriminate muttering......) /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

16. Sandman

Welcome to the support group! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

I want to build it right the first time...and avoid building it twice /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My current 10 bolt needs a couple hundred dollars thrown at it soon to keep it reliable and I would much rather throw it towards something I know I'll keep /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Sounds like he's got 4X Fever.There is no cure for it.The only known treatment is LOW GEAR WINE on the ROCKS,with a good MUD BATH ocasionally.Wheel Hard,Have Fun,Be Careful,so you can do it again&amp; again&amp; again!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I don't understand, if you have the money and want them, whats the prob? Although I wouldn't go one ton w/ 35s unless I was building a tow rig.