Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A how does this engine setup sound post

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Sep 19, 2004.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Advice needed here guys. I am looking at rebuilding my 454 and putting in a th400 within the next few months and need some advice on what to do.
    Here is what I am currently looking at:
    454 .030 over
    high volume oil pump
    headers
    2.5 duels with h-pipe
    Summit turbo mufflers
    freshened up distributor
    new water pump
    new balancer
    new fan clutch
    With my current Edelbrock intake (SP2 P2-0 I checked with Edelbrock they said it is mid 70s for economy, I may change it at a later time to a Performer)

Here is what I need help with. I am looking for a lot of low end torque for daily driving and occaisional towing. I am looking at the following Summit cam kits
    1500-4000rpm 208I/218E @.050 .475/.500 lift
    2200-4500rpm 218I/228E @.050 .500/.500 lift (same as Edelbrock Performer specs)

1. Which would be better for the driving style stated above?
    2. What type of valve springs would I need?
    3. Which rocker ratio should I go with 1.6 or 1.7?
    4. What type of torque converter would be best?
    5. What Hp/Tq numbers should I expect.

I currently have 3.73 gears and 235/85/16 31.7od I believe. I am looking to have something reliable and with good strong pulling power with good daily driver charateristics. I will be going with a 750 q-jet. Any advice or suggestions on things I should change to achieve my goal here would be appreciated. I am looking for something similar to the 502HT or 454HO as far as operating range, power, and drivalbility. I relize I wont have as much power do to less cubes but would like at least 250hp and 450tq with a compression ratio of 8.5-9.0. So chime in I am all /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd go with the smaller of the two cams, but with a 454, you're probably not going to care.

I think you likely need more gear if you intend on doing heaving towing, though.

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Most likely I will put in some 4.10s later down the line when I start towing more frequently. Right now I am looking at towing a camper about 8,000lbs maybe 4 times per year. And it is all pretty flat land around here so I'm not too worried about the gearing for towing right now. The 3.73s will stay for a while at least for the better economy for around town. Any other suggestions?