Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A How To On : Hydro Sm465 On The Cheap!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75k5, Sep 13, 2006.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

you guys want a wright up? I just went to hydro clutch using off the shelf parts, all new and quality race parts for under 200 bucks. I have the supplers contact info, pricing, parts needed, I was able to do one stop shopping for everything but the bracket..also have detailed pics on the simple brackets in a step by step. all done using your factory pedal set up and your non hydro bell housing:D

also maybe I could swing the idea to kurt and he could produce the bracket for you guys?

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

congrats, you just killed the value of everyones "uber rare" hydro clutch parts.

lets see what you came up with...

:deal:

3. supersize75k5

now you will really hate me...

I will have TWO options for this price... and niether involves getting the hydro bell housing..

option one..

hydro thow out bearing/ line/and master

option two

new master/slave/line braket fab and minimal change or fab

ill have pics with info and a small wright up on friday

4. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

you have my attention.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Option one is not so attractive...nobody wants a hydro throw-out bearing because when they leak it's a major PITA to fix and often fouls the clutch disc. With the slave on the exterior if it does leak it's easily replaced without (possibly) ruining other spendy parts.

Rene

6. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Im definately interested. The clutch is THE reason my truck was put on hold for another truck.

Its also why i hate my truck. :D

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Hehe. Shawn, the word is write.

8. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

:deal: write up?

9. supersize75k5

comming shortly, more or less ready to throw a darn hammer right now because of a couple new errors on my truck build:(

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i got acsess to hydro bells. but dont want to drop the driveline to swap it in. give it up buddy !!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. supersize75k5

since I am busy as hell, here is a short version, klong version with pics to come later this week

parts,

48 inch #3 steel braded line, with 90 elbow

cnc slave cylender, side mount

willwood master cylender with home made plate onto firewall

I took the will wood cylender and swapped out the push rod to a longer one, by removing the c-clip, you could simply use a off the shelf master cylender from an 89 chevy with hydro clutch, this way it included the resivoir and no extra lines to a remote like these trucks had factory.

if you use the 89 style, simply remove your linkage bar, place it in its place, mount to fire wall with 1/8 inch plate.

for the slave cylender, line up the slave with your factory fork, and use a piece or 3/16 1 inch angle iron between the to holes. notch the angle iron to allow the top to bolt to your engin 3/8 bolt that holds on your bell housing. then make a home made rod, and run a support to the lower piece of the angle iron do it is firms and wont flex.

i will post detailed info, pics and links later, but I would recomend the 89 master from your local auto house to simplify the pedal mount. I dont recomend using a stock slave simply because the aftermarket willwood or cnc brand has a vertical mount, where the factory one makes you mount it inline with the drive train and thus makes it more time consuming and more precision is needed on the braket that way.

with the angle iron, I was abkle to mock up, drill some holes and after a couple test fits had it all in place. I also recomend ordering a adjustable rod with your slave, I didnt have one and it screwed me and left me waiting to complete it.

real simple, nothing ground breaking, but a nice approch to avoid dropping your drive train as well as avoiding the hydro bell housing;)

12. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'm definitely interested. I've had the clutch linkage come apart on me one too many times. I'd even be willing to serve as your editor, not that you'd need one...

13. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I used all the factory gm parts that I got off a 87 burb and I used the old style bellhousing and I fabbed up a slave cylinder plate out of 1/4 inch steel that bolt to the housing in 2 places and 1 bolt to the motor . I did have to make a new clutch fork to slave rod . I think I had maybe $100 in to the whole thing . I can post up a pic of the bracket a little later . I think a guy on pirate made one too . His was a little nice than mine as he has a plasma and I cut mine out with a jigsaw using a lennox brand blade . When I did the swap from the t350/np203 to the sm465/np205 , I did the hydro set up at that time . It works great :bow: .

14. supersize75k5

hey cool post pics! I have a few sources and pics to help people make their bracket as well.

I have about 200 in my set up usining all new stuff,

15. supersize75k5

:haha:

your hired, I type way to quick, add sloppy keyboard skills, and that I am always in a rush..

16. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

pics would be cool. Im going to be swaping my 465/208 for a 465/205 and I would like to go hydro so I can talk my girl in to driving it, she cant push the cluch all the way down "its too hard":rolleyes: :haha:

17. supersize75k5

hmm, I drove a rig just last week while wheelin, non hydro and it seemed really really easy on the foot, i just am missiing z-bar parts and such..so why not:D

18. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

My crew cab is getting tough, but my stepside is still real easy (fresh manual conversion from 2003). I'm guessing that the linkages tend to suffer over the long run though, cause the CC has been in service for a while, and all the joints are shot, the pedal is stiff, and only comes out half way after you release it. :crazy:

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Biggest difference in pedal feel is the type of pressure plate. Diaphram clutches are pretty easy on the leg, but the three finger style (Borg & Beck) are just brutal...

Rene

20. supersize75k5

hmm i let my last girl friend try the three fin.......

wait..

dont..

say

it

shawn

:haha: