Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A.I.R. Injection fittings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87BrnRsd, Jul 20, 2004.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 K5 tbi, and am looking at a set of headers to put on it. I am on a budget so I cant afford the super nice edelbrock tes or similiar headers for $400. The headers I am looking at have the 02 sensor fittings but not the air injection fittings. After looking at my stock manifolds, I think I can just use a tap and die set to thread a hole into the headers, and use the old hardware to bolt it back in. My question is, will this work? I believe it will. Thanks.
    -Harrison

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I would say no, it won't work.

The AIR fittings are like brake lines, flared. They leak around the fitting if they aren't seated on something.

Besides that, even if they weren't flare fittings, headers are too thin to tap and expect anything to stay put, let alone seal.

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

how about tigging on the fitting you need.... they make steel flared fittings and fabbing that shouldnt be any big deal if you weld or have someone who can for you....
    I tigged mine on a cheaper non smog header and made my own (correct) carb label for the more expensive smog legal ones and it flew right through

4. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

My Headman headers have the A.I.R. tubes welded directly into the tubes. Nothing else. No nuts welded Just what looks like a 5/16" hole with the tube welded right to the headers. The tube is right in the middle of the tube.

My next set of headers will not have the AIR tubes. I will be injecting the air at the converter. The gases should still be hot enough to burn.

5. trailblazer86

I have sent you a picture at dkbmxr47@hotmail.com. YOu may be able to see what headman has done. They don't even go as far as TIG. Just a Mig. welder.
    These headers are not very expensive. Should be less than $150 U.S.

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply and for the pictures. Where did you find/get these headers from? I found some headmans with the air tube already in, but they are $280. If you can tell me where to order these from, and a part number, that would be great. Also, do they have and 02 sensor bung? Thanks a lot.
    -Harrison

7. trailblazer86

I can't find the part number. My folder has everything from Diff gears to spark plugs but the bill for the headers is missing.
    I do know that they are Headman headers. I paid $200Cdn about three years ago.
    As for ordering them you would be better off trying to find them at a U.S. part source.
    The O2 sensor is a pretty straight forward install. Most exhaust or parts stores should have a nut that can be welded into the collector. If I do find the part number I will send it along.
    If you are planning a trip to Canada I will direct you to the store that sold mine to me. You would be welcome to use my garage to do the install. It is not really cold where I live. I think we are South of about 20 States. maybe 500 or 600 miles North of you.

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help. If you do manage to come across the part number, send it along. I am going to look at a few places that sell headmans to see if I can find those here in the U.S. As for going to Canada, I would love to, but I dont see myself heading that way for a while. Thanks for offering me your garage to do the install. If your ever down near North Carolina, send me a message and maybe we can wheel somewhere. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks.
    -Harrison