Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A.I.R pump

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fr8train, Jul 21, 2002.

1. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

So I am putting in my new engine and leaving out the A.I.R system. Aside from the check engine light is there any real problem I am going to have?

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I thought only the staight 6 motors had an AIR system?

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Maybe I am the crack smokers dialog tonite. ....its the smog system that injects/recirculates air into the system. Thought that was what the A.I.R. sytem was. Its on the 88K5 and its just taking up space. I am in the process of moving the old brackets over and dont want to deal with it. Unfortunately it has a sensor hooked to it.

4. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

The only purpose my AIR pump is serving right now is for being a belt tensioner on my york. No sensor is hooked up to it and i haven't gotten a check engine light yet and it has been a year /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

You are correct, that is your AIR system. If you fully disconnect it, you could have problems passing visual inspection, depending on if they do that where you are. I originally disconnected mine on my original 305 by removing the belt 9obvious it wasn't working). The guy went through my rig with a fine-toothed comb at inspection and never seemed to pick upi on that. Since, I have completely removed mine. I pulled all the connections for it and installed non-AIR headers as well as removed the pump. I also have new pulleys that don't even have the extra groove. So, looking at my engine, there is no way to tell from observation that my rig ever had it. Haven't had to go back through inspection yet, so I don't know if it will pass.

6. K5Crazy

K5Crazy Registered Member

My 90' 350 doesn't have A.I.R. on it. And as far as we can tell it was never there. It's not on the emissions sticker ether, so I guess my Blazer didn't come with it? It says federal emissions on the sticker. Maybe the California and federal stickers are different?
    To bad federal still uses a cat.
    This Blazer was sold in the north east if it helps.
    Ken

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I dont have the visual inspection here so I and teh only emissions testing I have....its done forever now. The air manifolds that I have are plumbed to eachother then have some sort of plug on the drivers side. Wonder what that is.