Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A.I.R. tube steel fittings in exhaust manifolds

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Sep 7, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok, listany tips on how to get the steel tube fittings outof exhaust manifolds, ive begun soaking with penetrating oil, and the size of a fewof the flare nuts has corroded down to smaller size, so probably is gonna take vise grips and heat on either the manifold aroundthe fitting, or on the fitting itself to get them out.
    getting ready to put headers on is why, tryingto get junk out of the way,
    p/s and a/c mounting will be fun.

thanks

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Going headers? Remove all that crap, as our state doesn't check for that stuff.....

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you attempting to re-use the AIR system I assume?

I'd have to say heat (from a torch, not propane) is going to be required. But, never seen a torch fail to remove a stuck threaded piece, EXCEPT one of those AIR fittings. Since they are hollow, they tend to crush/twist off before coming loose.

For the effort, if you need to keep the AIR system, you may look into getting the new AIR "manifolds".

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

street legal headers should have all the stuff you need to run with ur air system... my Edelbrocks came with everything Id need, including new hoses.

j

5. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Dynomax has a set of headers with the AIR fittings in jeg's for about $160. i've got them coming in this week for my truck. the part # is 289-85503.

rick

6. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

If your taking them out and not planning on using them for emissions why not leave them in? An old racers trick is to hook PCV lines to the manifolds/collectors to help get a better vacuum inside the crankcase to help with ring sealing. Going this route would also allow you to disconnect the PCV going to your carb for slightly cleaner air going into your engine. Also, it would work opposite how your PCV works already. When you give your truck throotle vacuum drops and you loose vacuum in the crankcase. With what I described, the more gas you give it the better vacuum you will get. Making your motor seal better the higher it revs. Just a thought, they actually sell the setup you have for this purpose, and you already have it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Hope I got ya thinking.
    Ken

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If the hex part is already messed up, why not try a pipe wrench?

I think I have a good driver's side AIR tube sitting around here, but I don't know if an '85 would be the same as yours. PM me if so.