Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A.i.r.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wishbone, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about ditching all the smog control stuff since I don't need it. The belt to the smog pump is already off. The thing I'm not sure about is the purpose of the a.i.r. sytem. Is it tied into the smog stuff? I would like to put some headers on but would need to get rid of those extra valves coming into the manifold right?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The AIR system consist of the pump, AIR tubes and valves. If you don't need the emissions stuff then you can pull it all off.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was going to ask this same question the other day, but I'll jump in here too. So i can just unhook the pump/belt, and all the associated tubes and hoses? Do you just plug the holes in the manifolds with something? I have a tube running from the drivers ide valve cover into the bottom of the air cleaner. Kinda like a PCV, but with no valve. Can i just replace that with a PCV because I would like to switch to an open element. This is on a 454 btw if it makes any difference. My K5 has non of this stuff on it so i have never delt with any of the air stuff.

4. 4X4HIGH

Yes, you can install plugs into the exhaust manifolds to get rid of the AIR tubes.

To answer your question, No. You need to retain the breather tube from the valve cover to the air cleaner and also the PCV valve to the carb/TBI. If you disconnect the breather tube then you are disturbing the PCV system and you are sure to start developing oil leaks because of too much crankcase pressure building up.

5. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

What is good to use to plug the holes left in the exhaust manifold?

6. 4X4HIGH

Fairly sure they are 5/16" inverted flare fitting plugs.

7. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Take the EGR valve off while your at it too. You will either have to make or purchase a block of kit for it. I made my own out of a chunk of aluminum.

8. kore0015

kore0015 Registered Member

I plugged the holes in my manifolds with plain old bolts from Home Depot. I just got a close thread match off of one of the fittings. Nothing fancy, but it works. If you're really feeling lazy I went a few years with a just pair of lug nuts shoved into the rubber hoses.

If you still wanted to know, all the a.i.r. pump does is force fresh air into the exhaust as a way of basically cheating emissions. It was also designed to reduce backfiring, but who want to do that?

I don't know about pulling the egr. I want to get rid of it too. Never done it, but it supposedly lowers combustion temp and reduces knocking in addition to all the emissions bull.

9. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

Yeah my egr valve has been long gone. Think I might attempt to take all the air crap off this weekend. Looks pretty straight forward. Don't know if I can actually take the smog pump off because of it's location. There is no belt running it but will it need to be capped off when I pull the hose off it?

10. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

What all is involved with pulling the EGR valve?
    -Kell-

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Unbolt the EGR valve from the intake, plug the port on the other end of the vacuum hose and make or buy an EGR block off plate.

12. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Does this have any ill effects on the computer like throwing codes and such?

13. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

Yeah it might dunno for sure. Mines an '84 so I have no computer. Be sure to put a gasket under the block it you do cap it off.

14. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

What did yall do about the vapor canister when u pulled the EGR valve?

15. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

Can I just remove the belt from the pump and leave the pump on there? That would be nice when emmissions testing time comes up.

16. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

Yes, that's the way mine is right now.

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Be careful doing this, inactivity seems to lead to bad pumps later. :(