Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Dec 10, 2000.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Feb 23, 2000
    My friend's dad said I have A.I.R. when he looked at my manifolds today.. what exactly is it? can I run the truck without it connected? I really wanna get a set of headers on.. unfortunately I don't think they are made for A.I.R.

It's all fun 'n games, till someone gets stuck.
  2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

Oct 1, 2000
    upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    AIR stands for Air Injector Reactor. It is very simple; a pump (engine driven) should be under the alt, pumps air through a system of tubes to the exhaust manifolds. This gives extra O2 so in theroy any unburned hydrocarbons can burn up and create less emiss. It really dosent take all that much Hp to runone of these but they can be a pain in the ass because of the extra plumbing, pump, etc. If you have one (you should) you should have a pump, some steel and rubber hoses 2 valves and some small metal tubes running into the top of your exhaust manifolds. If a part is missing or inop, you could fail emmis in your state if it applies to you. I run a partial system right now with no noticiible problems (no pump) if you take the valves off you can notice a definate volume increase. You can get most popular headers with AIR they just cost more.