Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A.I.R.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mccomas, Feb 9, 2004.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

is there a negative impact (other than emissions testing) to removing my smog pump and the A. I. R. manifolds from my exhaust. are there any sensors that rely on this stuff?

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

No, Ive done it many times, it cleans up your engine bay.....but its illegal and wont pass the visual part of an emissions test.

3. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i posted the question as i search for a set of headers. i have read every header question that has been posted here for the last 2 years. it looks like the two best choices for keeping A.I.R. are the edelbrock TES and the doug thorleys. i have read that the thorley Tri-Ys seem to sacrifice too much low end torque. the edelbrock TES appears to be closer to a shortly (more low end sacrifice) than a long tube. i called edelbrock and they stated that the TES is not classified as a long tube header. if i lost the A.I.R, i could go with a hooker competition but i screw emissions testing... i think the next step is to go back and try to determine which of the two (edelbrock TES and D thorley) provide the best low end... i have read so much on this subject that my head aches...

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So whats wrong with Hedman part #'s 69488 or 61498?

Both of those list "T.E.M.S. (Tubular Exhaust Manifold Systems) are 50 state legal for years listed in catalog only." for 1982-1987 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. Looks like only 61498 comes with the EFE valve, or a way to keep the original though.

If I didn't have to go through vsual emissions I don't think I'd worry about AIR, but if there is any possiblity you might need to worry about it later, keep it.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah if you remove it then dont go bragging about it to the wrong ppl or you can get fined for it, that goes for any pollution controls equipment factory installed, the codes for each are lsited on emissions label underhood so that facilities know what is supposed to be intact

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I removed my stock manifolds for a set of competition hooker headers. I just removed the air lines that run in front of the intake.