Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a lesson learned...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, Aug 1, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

my blazer isnt the biggest in the world...but its enough for me.

My 33inch MT's and hefty ground clearance enable me to go places i would imagine that other things cant get to...

Well...my dad, who has im sure logged a few billion miles of driving in his life, recently bought a suzuki vitara. yes thats right. A little 2 door 2 piece removeable hard top gocart. Atleast thats what i thot. its a 5 speed with 4wd. Its got 16inch wheels and some generic gravel terrain tires. Well, me and my 2 years of expirence tells me that this thing wont be able to hit a speed bump without scraping, let alone this road below...
    [​IMG]
    so when he put it in 4wd and practicly raced up this path i was more than shocked...

so is it really ground clearence, or tires that makes the truck go? or the driver?

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

driver....

you can have a 1600hp motor, rockwells, 66" tires, basically a monster truck.. but if you dont know the limitations of the truck..... then you will only get as far as luck allows......

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No offense meant but my 85 Skylark could prolly drive up that road./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A good portion is driver...I've seen a mild Cherokee on bald 31" AT's crawl 3 and 4 foot boulders in the snow, but the driver had a lot of experience in that truck and wasn't scared to hurt it any.

You'll prolly need some deeper mud or a good and evil rock garden to lose your pop's in his Suzuki...plus some good driving skills.

Rene

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    No offense meant but my 85 Skylark could prolly drive up that road.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was thinking the same thing. If it was all like that, just about any vehicle on the road could take it.

Did similar with the girlfriends Daewoo when I went exploring ("lost" if you prefer) in the Mt Hood National Forest.

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

dont worry about that hill...was meant to illustrate a point

but why do i need to go in the mud?

he can drive between trees that my fat truck couldnt dream of sliding thruogh

if the idea is to get from point A to point B...not purposely go the deep mud hole anyway...which is better...being able to muscle your way through...or be able to go around it?

is this why people think guys with big trucks are stupid?

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

pack a tent, grill, sleeping bags, cooler, fishing rods, other misc camping gear, and 3 more people into the zuk and see how dumb fullsize owners are /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well, if there is mud or large rocks between point A and point B your truck would be more likely to make it than a stock IFS Suzuki on street tires.

Any truck you own should fit your needs...define your needs and then decide if your truck is stupid and fat or exactly what you want/need.

Hook a 5000 lb trailer to your Dad's Suzuki and see how far he gets...

Rene

8. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

If you want to go fast buy a Corvette, if you wan't to drive between trees buy a Samurai. If you wan't a truck that can hit the trail, mud, sand and take all kinds of abuse while carrying the family and all your stuff in the back buy a K5.

Note, if you drive badass truck like a K5 you can just knock over the trees, not that I would but you could. Remember, tread lightly and be nice to old mother nature. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

is this why people think guys with big trucks are stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think that has more to do with spending tons of money on something you go out and beat the cr4p out of. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I thought about buying a Suzuki Sidekick once apon a time. They have some benefits like as pointed out: small size, the bottom is nearly completely smooth, rear posi, light etc... but I just don't think they compare to a K5.

11. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

going around mud? HAHAHA who does that? i know i could have 2 weekends ago in my little 4runner and i didnt...and got stuck where my k10 would have idled through..its all about clearance, power, and what YOU do with it...swap vehicles with dad and hit some trails...take a good snatch rope for when he sticks the k5...

12. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Those small vehicles are alright if being underpowered blows your skirt up. Honestly, 60hp@6,000rpm for a Samurai (at the crank, closer to 42 at the asphalt) sucks ass.

A Samurai weighs 2200lbs bone stock. Add some tires bigger than what you'd find on a Geo Metro and the thing loses all its "pep" while weighing more.

They're as tippy as a Heep.

Stick 3 passengers in it and there is no room for trail gear. There is room for one passenger and trail gear/food/water. You'll have to strap a shovel to the roof.

It is cheap to get them on 31" rubber but after that it is "shoulda boughta Jeep" territory. They can get all over the place on those 31s but gooey mud isn't one of those places.

Tires and driver are the most important parts when out on the trail. A Jeep with a spool in the back on mediocre 35" rubber will have a hard time competing with a fullsize on good 33" rubber with a good driver.

13. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but why do i need to go in the mud?
    if the idea is to get from point A to point B...not purposely go the deep mud hole anyway...which is better...being able to muscle your way through...or be able to go around it?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Alright, let me start one here. The reason we all buy our K5's and lift them is to put bigger tires on them. Now, why would we want to put bigger tires on them? Of course its not to get worse gas mileage, acceleration, and have a higher center of gravity, but rather, to go places we couldnt before. This means, that when your out in your moms buick and look off the side of the road to see a big mud hole, you dont swerve off into the mud and kick it into front wheel drive and light up the p215's, but rather you careem off with your K5 on 37's and let all 4 spin. Maybe there is just something about the sound of the engine revving way up into the rpm's when your only going 3 mph through the pit. Or maybe its the sound of the chunks of mud hitting the wheel wells at 60 mph. Or maybe its the satisfaction of going through some place that you normally couldnt go, and being able to say "I made it through, and damn that was fun." Isnt the whole point to be able to "purposely" go through the deep mud hole??
    -Harrison

14. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    YES, YES IT IS!!!! especially here in the flat farmlands

15. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

thats what im saying, lol
    mabye he is just old

it has given me perspective...all of the places i go, i typically go by myself (meaning just my vehicle), and if what i thot was my trucks limit can be tackled by the suk...then i dont even know my own truck...and here i am thinking about how i need bigger tires...i think ill wait until i get stuck somewhere before i consider any further mods

16. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

Most of wheeling is knowing your truck and its capabilities.

A perfect example is when my buddy just bought a new Toyota Tacoma. The second day he had it he went wheelin in a state forest. I laughed because I said even my girlfriends car could wheel where you are. So he called BS. He was not laughing when the next time I took my gf's car and followed him in the woods in all the same places he went. It was historical! Even my gf was laughing. What is even funnier is that after we finished and parked at the gas station laughing about what just transpired I noticed my friend’s truck had some brush stuck underneath it. When he tried to remove it he noticed that a stuck punctured the CV boot on his passenger side axle. LMAO! My gf's car (lucky for me!) was unharmed! LMAO! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You just need to find something more rutted. I probably wouldn't even waste my time reaching for the 4wd lever in my big truck or my Ford Ranger on that road. When I go fourwheeling I find much deeper spots than that.