Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A life changing decision..should I buy this??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Dec 21, 2004.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I posted this question in another post(the one with 6.2 questions),and I realized after it was a hi-jack on my part,should have made a new post,evidently no one saw it--here's my dilema---
    I have a chance to get an 89 K30,new body style IFS chevy truck,4wd,454,TH400,not sure of rear end,might be SF or FF,high mileage,not real pretty,minimal rust,recent timing chain,valve job,water pump,extensive brake work,has a fisher plow setup with blade,seat is ripped,but rest of interior ok---the guy I bought my 79 C10 and my 82 K20 diesel from has it--he is willing to sell it to me for 400 bucks less than I have in my life savings in the bank,OR he would take my 79 truck in trade + cash ,he is offering me a really good deal in my opinion--he plans to fix a few things it needs and sell it for a thousand more than he offered it to me for in a few days if I dont decide I want it soon--but I'm hesitant to spend what little money I have left on another truck when I have the 82 K20 to plow with already--but I dont see trucks like this very often,especially with a 454--and I've grown used to having 2 plow trucks over the years,its good to be able to hop in the other truck and finish your plow route if one of the breaks down,and if you get stuck you can pull yourself out with the other truck--normally,this would be a no brainer--dump the C10 and buy this truck,the C10 is in nice shape for the year bodywise,has a good 86 305 in it,gets decent gas mileage-(454 gets 9mpg:frown1: )-but I dont drive it in the winter hardly at all to avoid salting it up and rusting it out,and 2wd sucks in the snow--but my mothers health is not good,and if she passes away soon,I might have to move--and its hard to live in this world if your broke--but the 89 K3500 would carry a lot more of my posessions away than the C10 could if I have to move,and it might make me some dough plowing if we get snow this winter,when the C10 will just take up space in the garage--but I am torn as to what to do--one part of me says buy it quickly before you lose out--the other part says save your money,get a job,fix your teeth and get new eyeglasses--I'm asking for your opinions here,because I'm a bit blindsided--the 454 is my favorite motor,and I never had any EFI vehicles yet--I like the fact the 79 is simple to fix,emission exempt,and decent on gas,rides better than a 4x4 too---but for the most part its just a summer play truck--am I asking for trouble buying a newer rig with a computer,emission tests,the independent front suspension(I have heard they eat ball joints and the torsion bars are expensive),or do you guys think its a desireable upgrade from the 79??---I'd really like to hear your opinions--Am I crazy to want to do this,or am I crazy not too??:confused:

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

honestly, in my older age i'm a little more cautious... if i had a decent transportation vehicle and a little money in the bank and no job, i wouldn't be buying it... other trucks will come along. you'd be stretching yourself thin and with possible financial issues coming up it would be a risk... $400 doesn't leave much room for emergencies.. probably not what ya want to hear. :smirk:

oh, and hey, big posts like that are much easier to read with a few paragraphs... :wink1: good luck with whatever ya decide....

3. diesel4me

Thats 1 vote against!!

Thanks for your input--I'm very confused here--I know what you are saying,and I agree in a way--I thought if the worse case senario happenned,perhaps I could bail out and sell the 89 K3500 for more $$ than a 79 C10--but I hate to bankrupt myself .....I guess your right that better things will always come along----..

How come when I make paragraphs in my posts,the post always seems to come out as one big page???--I try to do it right,and it still comes out wrong!!:confused:

Anyone else??--I'd have done this as a poll if I werent so computer illiterate!:crazy:

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Yeah, dont do, it. better trucks will come. It's not worth running out of dough for, especially at this time of the year. And if its had a plow on it for any length of time, id wanna see tranny and rear end receipts before i did anything.

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I would hold off too. Dont blow you wad all at once.
    Build up some reserve until you dont have doubts. You sound too hesitant to me. (hmm how can you sound like something over the internet... anyways:p: )

If it was a great deal... would you really be posting this. Woudlnt you be sitting in your new truck right now instead?

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I have a strict rule that my project Blazer does not come in front of household stuff . I tried spending every dime I had on my trucks when I was younger and I always felt guilty or was not happy about it because I knew I should not have spent that money.
    Take care of your bank account and you will feel , and sleep , much better ! Like others have said - the deals will come along again and take advantage of them when you can fully enjoy them ....
    JMHO , Tom

Good luck !

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

IFS truck + plow = bad

8. diesel4me

I think you are right--

Thats 5 nayys,and 0 yayys--I apreciate your answers..after thinking about the fact the truck has seen some hard work,and I wont have hardly a dollar left after buying it and swapping plates,title fee,sales tax,new inspection sticker,all it would take is one thing to go wrong to sink my ship--after realizing the amount of cash I have left in the bank wont even cover my insurance for next year,I guess it would be kinda stupid to buy it-,
    -and I love the older trucks more than the new style IFS ones,and am not a big fan of computers,sensors,emission tests,and higher excise tax and insurance costs--So I guess I'll stick with the C10,even though its pretty useless in the winter--I might take it off the road first of the year to save money on insurance,since I wont get much use out of it..I might leave it covered up outside so my 82 plow truck can "sleep" in the garage though--I hate having to clear off all the snow after a storm,and the diesel will start easier inside out of the cold,yesterday it barely started,it was 0 degrees monday night!!!.

I'm still hoping to score a cheap K5,or pickup I could put my 74 K20's plow on,I have a lead on a few 200 dollar rotboxes,they might be a better investment until I get back on my feet financially-(the 79 K10 I posted about for 300 got scrapped last week:mad: --there goes another SM465 and NP205!)-or maybe I'll just try to be happy with the diesel,I dont really know why I'm so determined to have so many trucks-or why I cant seem to "finish" one truck completely before wanting another--it must be an addiction!!...

So I guess I'll have to pass on this truck--and I will have to get back to work if I can,or try for disability or something,before I'm completely broke--like you guys said,better trucks will come along,,the same guy who has this K3500 also has a very sweet 86 K10 short fleetside,mint body,black paint,with plow for the same price as the 1 ton --I actually like that truck more!!!--But I realize that I'm not in a good position to be buying anything right now--figures all the trucks I'd like to have come around now,when its not possible...:frown1:

Thanks again for your opinions !!...:crazy:

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I had a '66 C10 that I ran WAY overloaded MANY times. It was a great truck. Couldn't kill it. For winter I'd put on the chains and keep right on going :D

I suffered the addiction for 4 years... went as follows:
    '69 C20
    '68 C20
    '79 C10
    '72 C2500
    '66 C10
    '69 K10
    '74 K20
    '62 C20
    '60 C30
    '86 K30
    '57 Napco Suburban
    '91 V3500
    '80 K5

I never finished anything either! I've only got the '91 left.

The 454 will lose its appeal after 1 or 2 fillups. (My Dad's 454 is a constant reminder).

Fix your 6.2L - you've already got lots on your plate ;)

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

nope

if it were up to me i would not get the 454. since you alrteady have 2 running good vehicles as it is and may have greater need for cash in the future. i know from experience its not always besty to spend the last little bit of $$ on a good deal. there are always better deals around later. i spent my last $$ on a "project" truck and "project" car which atm neither run. diesel needs glow plus, fuel pump and couple minor things, car needs starter.... and the very next week i kid you not, i saw an add for 2 (not a typo actually two) '78 k5's both were in running shape, 4x4 all there, had v-8's and they ran&drove!!! oh yeah and for the same price i just paid for the truck and car project that still arent running on their own.... so lesson is be patient and save your money because that deal you are looking for will be around in another form later ;)

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

AMEN to that! :bow:

12. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

gggrrrr

and i am REALLY still fuming about the '78 K5 deal. cuz ever since i sold the '81 w/ 6" lift and 35x15x15 swampers i been missin a k5 sooo bad. dady needs a new k5!! :haha: