Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A little advice please?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thezentree, Aug 9, 2005.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Yea, so I'm basically dating one of my best friends (don't worry, she's hot) and that scares the **** out of me.

The history:

She was the popular chick through high school and I was the weird redneck gearhead. We never really talked at all until senior year when we kinda took a liking for each other. It was kinda doomed from the beginning simply because of the circumstances. Anyway, instead of dating, we became really good friends and have been ever since.

Anyway, last week we kinda rekindled old feelings and at this point are basically dating. Which is fine with me because she's awesome. Problem is, she's also my best friend and I'm freaked out about the fact that we're more than friends now. I guess writing this is a moot point because there really isn't any going back to the way things were, but I'm looking for some advice on how to go about all this. She lives an hour away from me, which I don't mind driving, but it's gonna make it a little more difficult for us to see each other. I just don't want to ruin a perfectly good relationship with that love bull****. So ....thoughts?

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a good grounds for a relationship to me.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Let's put it this way:

Kim is my best friend. I hope so, because I'm going to be spending a LOT of time with her, like, let's say, a lifetime?

Would you rather go out with a stranger? :dunno:

4. google

google 1/2 ton status

I would always suggest best friends as good dating/marrige material. All I can say is this.... DON'T STOP BEING FRIENDS!!!! That seems to ruin a lot of things. Nothing should change except kissing and sex!!! If you liked eachother that much before, then nothing needs to change. I tell you this from experiance. My wife thought everything was supposed to change when we got married. Thought I was supposed to do a bunch of things I didn't do before. I don't like my wife any more and she doesn't like me much either. Make being friends FIRST and FORMOST in your relationship. The rest is bonus.

5. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

ditto.

6. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Cool, makes me feel a little better about what I'm getting myself into. Thanks y'all.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My wife was one of my best friends for about 4 years before we got together. similar situation, dated soon after we first met...but doomed and fell apart in a matter of days. Became really good friends and could talk about anything, including stuff she wouldn't ever talk to her boyfriend about.

Eventually she got rid of her boyfriend about the time i got away from another girl I was dating and we got together. That was 16 years ago, and she is still my best friend as well as my wife. I think best friends before a relationship is a great foundation for long term IMO.

Rene

8. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I hear your fear man. The girl I'm dating now, I have been friends with for over 6 years. We started talking a lot more around a year ago and friendship became more. Its not a bad thing at all. I couldn't be happier! Don't let it worry you that much.

Kris

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well put. My thoughts exactly (except, of course you have to chabge Kim to Keli or else several people are gonna be mad. :D )

10. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

If things don't work out why can't you still be friends? Just cause can't be with them that way does not mean cannot go back to be friends.

11. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

About 10 years ago, I dated my best friend. Things went great for a 6 mos or so, but we realized it just wsn't gonna work. We kinda drifted apart for awhile & then I moved away (military). We always maintained email contact & I even went to her wedding . Still good friends & we still email quite a bit.

12. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Not to rain on your parade, but I tried that. Known each other for 20 years, close friends for about 15. Together for the last three. It ended badly, me with a broken heart and the end of a close friendship. I will never date one of my friends again. Ever.