Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A little coilover flex---pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85m1009, Sep 12, 2002.

1. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Finally got my new truck ramps built and decided to use them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Click image for larger size.

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

VERY NICE--VERY NICE!!!

Extremely Jealous!

Eric.

89K5/14FF/D60/2-1/2"Superlift/1"ORD BD/More on the way!

3. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

BAD ASS!! /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

how high is each tire there? and what's your wheelbase?

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Coils make me hard.... That is F'in bad ass man

6. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

I think I would need a cold shower if my 'Burb had that kind of flex... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Looks like I need to start savin' $$ again. What is the estimated cost for the conversion (so far?).

Jon

7. Silver84k5

whats the estimated cost, and time involved, cuz im really thinking that i want to do this, only prob is ive never Fabbed a piece of metal in my life lol, but i would do my homework for a few weeks before i even made my first purchase,

8. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Looks great Steve!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I decided to run 63's in the rear, should get me enough flex, not as much as the coils, but close enough.

9. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

As far as height off the ground--- The stands are about 26 inches tall. As far as cost, that just depends on how much you do yourself. I have only spent about $3,500.00 in parts for both ends. It would have cost substantially more if I had to pay someone to design and build it. The main cost is the coilovers about $600.00 per shock including the coils. The heim joints are about $50.00 each. The dom tubing for the links is about $15.00 per foot. 1.5 diameter .5 wall.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Wow Steve that's awsome. Well looking forward to you sending me a kit for a review /forums/images/icons/smile.gif LOL

11. Silver84k5

how did you learn Design and Fab that kinda stuff up? any classes i can take, or books i can buy? or did you basically grow up around it? or just your own trial and error? there are some Welding classes at the Community College but i doubt that would do me much good when im thinking of tackling something this hard core....

12. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Steve, do you have any more info on your front set up, other than the article here? I am trying to decide if I want to go link/coil on my crew cab. Do you have any closer pictures of the front link geometry?

13. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

First I did not have any clue about suspension design when I started and I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I experimented with the geometry issues using cardboard link arms, stick pins and graph paper all at 1/4 scale. The end result ended up better than the mock up. I basically searched the internet on suspension designs and read as much material as possible on the subject. I also bent Stephen Watson's ear for help on several occasions. My fabrication guy also builds and races sprint cars. He had a lot of new ideas from a different view point that came in useful.

As far as pictures of the front end the best ones are of the suspension mocked up on the empty frame. There might be some of those on my photo or catalog page on my website.

14. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Steve, Looks great man!

One question though: 1.5" x .5"wall DOM....Is that beefy really necessary? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif I don't have a clue, so I'm just asking. I was thinking 1.5" x .250" wall DOM would be adequate for links, but like I said, I don't have a clue. Thanks
    Boss

15. That looks great Steve !! I was hoping you was gonna do the rear also !! How does it do on the road?(As in the sway on turns) That'll get you twisted up really good !!Maybe I will see you at Indy next weekend.

16. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Man, that is slicker than dog snot!! That truck ought to be able to climb a tree!

John

17. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Any pics of the ramps on the SAME side of the Blazer?

18. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

that is sweet /forums/images/icons/smile.gif awesome flex /forums/images/icons/grin.gif and i love the duel ramp setup /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

19. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Bigburb
    I will be at Indy next week. Plan on entering the rock crawling event.

Steve
    Putting both ramps on the same side would be a lot like the tip over challenge on hells revenge, just a little unnerving.

The on highway characteristics are a little different. The yellow curve signs on the highway with the suggested speed below now pertain to me. It leans on side hills but from the driver's seat it still feels solid. I was only able to lift a tire off the ground on two occasions in Moab. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Boss,
    As far as tubing thickness goes, I overbuild everything. I plated the outside of the frame with 3/8'' plate when 1/4'' would have been plenty. The lower link on the front got replaced before Moab and I now carry it as a spare. It has about a 2 inch bow in it from bouncing off the rocks. Proves that you can tear anything up if you work at it. I also liked being able to drill and tap the tube for the heim joints without welding in a threaded sleeve.

Oh yea the wheelbase has been stretched to 110''.

20. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

WOW!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Look's good!!