Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A Little Extra Fuel Storage IDEA...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ARAMP1, Oct 9, 2006.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that I'm not the first person to think of this, but I couldn't find it searching around.

What are your thoughts about taking a truck with two 20 gal side tanks and mounting a suburban center tank for a total of three tanks. I wonder if there was a way to do it. Maybe run two valves; one for the left and right tank selector and the second for say the right and rear tank. So, to use the rear tank, you'd have to have the left-right selector in right and the right-rear tank in rear. Who knows, maybe you could integrate a three position switch for left-center-right tanks. Maybe even grafting in the second fuel door on the bedside.

Any thoughts (besides the heart attack one might have when filling up, if not from standing at the pumps too long breathing the vapors, then when you see how much 80 gallons of gas costs at one time)?

2. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

what truck came w/ two 20gal tanks? Whenever my guage is on empty and I fill up its about 12 and a little so I always thought they were 13 gallon tanks.

-Avery

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

It's been discussed before. I'm pretty sure that somebody has done it. Would be cool to do it with a one three way valve, and elminate the need for multiple valves. I don't know if such a valve exists.

4. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Or just have the sub tank feed the other two,then you won't need three valves .

5. Avery4jc

something I never really thought of w/ my two tank setup was the fuel pump...is there one in both tanks? Would he have to put one in all three if he or someone else did this?

-Avery

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I had a 68 Dodge pickup with 3 tanks and 1 selector valve. Total of 75 gallons.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you dont need 3 valves anyways, just two. one to switch between the saddles and the burb tank (between the engine and the stock switch) and one to toggle between the saddles.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

its connected to the engine on your truck. might wanna get some wrench time if you didnt know you had a mechanical fuel pump.

as for the fuel pump in each tank, but one good one and put it on the frame where it can draw from all 3 tanks.

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Wow, you'll need to use Fuel Fresh, whatever that stuff is called. Probbaly would need a bigger than usual filter set-up too.:D
    Get some of those HAZ-MAT diamonds for the side.:haha:

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

11. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

my truck came with the dual 19 gallon saddles. I was concidering getting a burb tank, and replacing mine, but i may attempt this one.. I thing i would hook up a cross line between the saddle....

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

16 and 20 gal are all that are available.

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I had a 40gal in my parts burban, I thought about adding it to my dual 20's.....but the thought of 80gals of 93 in a wreck wasnt too thrilling.....

14. WRENCH-HEAD

WRENCH-HEAD 1/2 ton status

At one point in my truck's life I replaced the two side tands with a 40 gal burb tank. I did it to make room for rock sliders and get rid of all the switch stuff, simplify. If you really need that much capacity go for it. What I would do is mount the burb tank but leave it isolated then run a small electric fuel pump on the fuel line for the burb tank to a fitting on the filler hose of one of your saddle tanks. All you would do is flip a switch and pull fuel from the burb tank and fill up a saddle tank. Would be a 40 gal reserve tank at that point. Would be pretty easy as well.

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

that's not a half bad idea... just dont forget that its on while filling and accidentally dump your extra 20 gallons out the filler.

16. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've got a burb tank between my truck's frame rails, and I gotta say, if you burn 40 gallons of gas in one outing, you need to be figuring out what is wrong with your engine...

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

long haul + heavy load = lotsa gas

18. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Other than totaling your rig right after spending all that money to fill up, I don't know that 40 gallons splattered all over in a wreck is any better than 80.

19. Avery4jc

really....so maybe my guage is wrong...
    I let it run all the way down to E and when I fill it up it is about 13 gallons...so in reality I have about 3 gallons left in there?

-Avery

20. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

There is always an unusable amount of gas in any tank. It is usually 2-3 gallons or so that sits below the fuel pickup level. If you have a 16 gallon tank and fill it with 13 gallons you are probably pretty close to empty as your gauge says. Technically you have 3 gallons left but if you try and use those 3 gallons you better have a gas can and some decent shoes cause you will be hoofin it. :D

Harley