Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A Little Flex

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dcell152, Jan 21, 2005.

1. dcell152

dcell152 Registered Member

This is how much a hummvee flexes. I thought it would flex a lot more

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

:thinking: :doah: :what: :rotfl:

????????? How much??????????

3. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

helps if you explain what youre talking about :surepal:

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hummers have independant suspension all the way around and don't flex for ****.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Every kid at Wyotech thinks Hummers are THE greatest offroad trucks ever. Even the ones that are into trucks. I end up arguing to a wall for 10 minutes about articulation and weight. "but all the ground clearance" UNIMOG "whats that?" :rolleyes:

6. dcell152

dcell152 Registered Member

I cant seem to get the pic to work? And no the hummer dosnt flex for crap!!! I'm not sure about civialen but the military ones suck!

Can any one help me with the pic?

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i have a vid of a guy in a hummer (civialen) i think maxing out a flex ramp, buy gets out looks aroung and under the truck,(it also sounds like there people in the truck) then grabs the back bumper and tips the thing over on its side:confused:Wtf then starts hi-fivenpeople

anyway in the vid it looks to have a lot of flex, mabey the civies have softer more flew suspention???

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The civilian ones have a solid rear axle instead of 4 wheel independent. I think the civilial one is real similar to the gm truck line.

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

WRONG. Civilian H1's are still fully independent with the portal boxes on all corners. Only the H2, which is just a glorified Tahoe, has a 14b rear and standard GM IFS up front.

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Ya, the H2 is what I was thinking about. I hate it when people get a H2 and think they have an indestructable "BIG" truck that can go anywhere because the ARMY uses them. :rolleyes:

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i was unimpressed when i had to pull a stock Civilian H1 out of 6" of mud... using my lowered '82 C10, which had no problem getting through. and before you ask, no i wasnt wheeling a lowered truck, a friend's driveway flooded, and we were headed back to her house. she got stuck, i went around, and pulled her through the flooded area.

12. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

There is a very good reason for that, its a warfighter not a TTC competitor, i will put it yo you like this, in the war i had one squad per hummer, thats 11 people, 2 in front 9 in bak, all of there belongings for the deployment were kept in paks on the side and top of the hummer, plus all of the weapons and ammo for each weapon, also 3 days of food and water at all times and since we are combat engineers each truck had from 400-600 pounds of various explosive so lets see,

11 people is about 1980 lbs
    11 packs is about 1100 lbs
    15 weapons is about 500 lbs
    ammo for weapons is about 500 lbs
    food/ water is about 300 lbs
    and explosives around 500 lbs

That comes out to each truck has to haul 4880lbs oh yea it needs gas so right around 5000lbs and it still has to drive damn any where, i would love to see anyone put 5000 POUNDS in there flexible rig and go anywhere

13. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

The hummer is not a firebreathing beast by any means. the military h1 had a 6.5 diesel that was pretty much gutless above 35 mph. It's not a mobber or the best 4x4 ever made. It's the name that has everybody convinced that no matter what you do to a k5 it will never mob like a hummer. I've spent days arguing in circles about who would get throught the mud bog at my ROP heavy equipment class. My blazer wasn't breathing at the time though so all i could do is talk. It didn't matter that my k5 had a 6 and 35's or a 375 hp 355 about to be dropped into it..... the hummer was always better. I could put 44's and a 620 horse 572 in her and my whole highschool except maybe a few would put up a hundred bucks against my rig vs a stock h2.

Every time i want to embarass a rich kid whos dad paid 50 grand for a hummer he doesn't want to get it dirty or he has somewhere to go........ that should answer the question right there.

If the all powerfull hummer can't hang with a built 88 k5 then it wouldn't be worth 50 grand, they stay away so they can tell themselves that the h2 is the best 4x4 ever made

14. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I smoked a humvee once whiile I was out wheeling on the back side of the base back home in Alaska. He tried to catch me and give me a ticket but ended up stuck behind me. Who woulda thought a ratty ole chevy would get away from a "built" humvee like theres! And they still bragged about it bein the best rig every made, yeh right.

15. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

One of my best friends is in the national guard. He was guarding a nearby army base when he and his buddy decided to take the humvee offroad while on duty. He got it buried upto the rockers in mud. He called me to come help. I had to get him out. Granted I did use the winch, but I also didnt get stuck, and I drove through the same mudhole on the way out:D

16. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I couldn't get the picture either, but of course they don't. Not only are Humvees 4 wheel indepentent suspension, but they are the equivalent of a 3/4 ton truck. They use heavy springs and were not designed for flex.