Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A little guidance needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cojnit, Jul 16, 2003.

1. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

I am not the mechanical guru but here goes:

Apparently I blew up the rear end on my 95 2 door tahoe (Closest thing to a K5 I could get with a warranty at the time), along with destryoing the transmission (second one in a year). The dealer fixed the trans under warranty, and now tells me that they need $2200 to fix the rear axle and limited slip. the parts are being listed @ $1600. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I think that this seems extremly expensive, and am lookin for alternatives. the questions I have are as follows:

1. Is there something that can be easily swapped in that would give me more beef and rigidity? Also would not mess with ABS and would need minor/no fabrication?

2. what would be the best way to replace the stock axle that would make it more trail worthy (for occational trail going, not hardcore rockcrawling).

3. any thoughts where I could take it in the Los angeles or south bay area?

Help is needed badly as this is my daily driver. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

try and find yourself a 10 bolt from a truck with the same rear gears and put all your rear brakes onto it,keep any good spare parts that are left from your old one, and for 3-400 bucks you have a good rear end...

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

for $2200 your half way to a rear Camo 60.

get one from a junk yard, buy it yourself and instal it.

4. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

I agree with Zakk get out your yellow pages and start calling around and if ya need a hand putting it in send me a pm
    good luck in your hunt
    Randyu

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hell for that kind of cabbage you could get a semi floater D60 rear from a place liek Dynatrac or similar....

I would find a rear axle from a junkyard or go the Dynatrac route. Another option would be to find a 14SF with the same ratio and swap it in with minor fabbing.

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

What you want to find is a 9 1/2" semi-floating 14 bolt out of an '88 - '98 light 3/4 ton GM truck. This axle will have the 6 bolt lug pattern that matches your truck, and will be a bolt-in replacement for your 10 bolt. You should be able to find one through a local dismantler (with the gear ratio you need) considerably cheaper than having your 10 bolt fixed.

7. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

have an offer for a 2002 stock 10 bolt with factory rear disk brakes ( mine had drums) I am not sure if this would work with the ABS and the spring perches (plus whatever other stuff I have no clue about) I will probably end up doing the work myself (with help from a fellow Big Dawg) and I am terribly afraid (yeah I am man enought to admit it) of getting in over my head with a swap that is way to complicated.

Any further direction, or should I just abandon this fellow board members offer and find the 14 bolt SF?

8. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

depends on the price! that shouldn't be a difficult swap for you. The 2002 should have ABS setup already on the axle so you may get very lucky in that regard. The 14SF is not only hard to find, but once you do, you'll end up paying a lot for it.

Seems like your best bet is to find someone that just upgraded the rear axle under his/her K5 and get em to sell you the 10 bolt. Hopefully the gears match your front (3.73's?... shouldn't be too hard to find). Then just strip down the ends and replace with all your brake components. Move spring perches is time consuming (cutting off the hold, cleaning up the tube, being careful not to go through) but it is not "difficult."

Don't sell youself short by spending more than you have to just so you don't have to face the unknown.

9. LUBA

LUBA 1/2 ton status

I have the axle your looking for. 1997 Yukon 10 bolt rear 3.73 gears, Auburn, Moser shafts complete drum to drum- $350
    I also have the stock shafts one needs 4 studs-$50

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What you want to find is a 9 1/2" semi-floating 14 bolt out of an '88 - '98 light 3/4 ton GM truck. This axle will have the 6 bolt lug pattern that matches your truck, and will be a bolt-in replacement for your 10 bolt. You should be able to find one through a local dismantler (with the gear ratio you need) considerably cheaper than having your 10 bolt fixed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best sense I've neard all day /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Dealers around here qoute two prices on most big jobs - either all new GM parts, or recycled (used parts). Even had one dealer order up a 14SF for an 92-98 K1500 Burb at the customer's request. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I think the whole pronlem is thet you want the dealer to do it.