Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a little help please sorry kind of long

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 99firehawk, Sep 30, 2003.

1. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

I just put my new motor in my truck, I fired it up and in about 2 minutes it stopped due to the wire (BLUE ARROW IN PICTURE) from the altternator output to the circled junction block in the following picture burning up. After repairing the wire I started it back up and it was fine but, I dont like the idea that I may have not fixed the problem and I may drive down the road and it go up in flames. Alternator puts out 13.6 at idle and 14.8 at 2500 rpm. The alternator is a new/slighty used 140 amp and the battery is brand new red top. I would like to know the deal with the junction block, and what the wire with the green arrow in the picture is.
    tia for your time
    underhood picture

the picture is not of my truck it was borrowed from a ck5 member

brad

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

that picture really sucks...but if you put a 140 amp alternator in..you might want to boost the size of that wire to handle the extra load...just a thought, you can only push so much through so little...try checking the output voltage at the end of that wire and see where its at...chances are the wire couldnt handle the load...maybe im wrong..but why not take it for a drive around the block, and see what happens..