Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A little help Steve?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by B_to_C, Jan 20, 2004.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Here's the deal. Once i moved out here to Colorado, I noticed that you either have to be able to shrug off body damage, or buy rocksliders. I HATE body damage...so I've ordered some rocksliders from fredd at 4x4 iron. Steve did a write up on these like 2? years ago, hence the title of the thread. Here some shots of my undercarriage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Issues? YES. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

So the Rocksliders are in the mail right now...and OBVIOUSLY there is nothing to bolt them to (right steve? all those metal supports is where it would bolt to right? - you mention in your review, and so says fredd, that they are bolted to the body supports...just want to make sure that what i don't have, is what i need. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

Ok, now here's the question FOR ANYONE IN THE DENVER/ BOULDER AREA:

But first a little background story... This morning I paid $45 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif for Johns 4x4 to put my truck up on a lift (for about ten minutes) only to tell me that they would NOT do the work [work as in: install new body mounts, one inch body lift, and basically re-construct sub-frame] because of "liability issues" So they took my $45 and sent me on my way /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

So here's the question...Know anyone who is willing to do this type of work? I was thinking of just driving to the rough part of town looking for a welder/fabricator who has little left to lose and employ him /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif But i thought this would be a good first step... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I just hate shops that charge you to throw your truck up on their lift for next to no time. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Yes I have serious issues with people like that. Next time you do somethin like that tell them to crawl under your truck actually get dirty and look that way. Anyways, I'm done ventin and I can't help ya out. Just lettin ya know that I feel your pain. Good luck to ya.

Allan

3. gmule

gmule 1/2 ton status

4. B_to_C

DOH! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Sorry, i meant to say 4x4 ARMOR (not iron) MY FAULT 4X4ARMOR

Maybe that's why steve hasn't replied, he's like "WTF /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif"

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You could always rebuild them stronger, similart to what I did boatsiding my son's K5. For his, these supports are used for the sliders and also form a mounting point for the roll cage too.

[​IMG]

6. gmule

gmule 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Here's the deal. Once i moved out here to Colorado, I noticed that you either have to be able to shrug off body damage, or buy rocksliders. I HATE body damage...so I've ordered some rocksliders from fredd at 4x4 iron. Steve did a write up on these like 2? years ago, hence the title of the thread. Here some shots of my undercarriage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Issues? YES. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

So the Rocksliders are in the mail right now...and OBVIOUSLY there is nothing to bolt them to (right steve? all those metal supports is where it would bolt to right? - you mention in your review, and so says fredd, that they are bolted to the body supports...just want to make sure that what i don't have, is what i need. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

Ok, now here's the question FOR ANYONE IN THE DENVER/ BOULDER AREA:

But first a little background story... This morning I paid $45 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif for Johns 4x4 to put my truck up on a lift (for about ten minutes) only to tell me that they would NOT do the work [work as in: install new body mounts, one inch body lift, and basically re-construct sub-frame] because of "liability issues" So they took my $45 and sent me on my way /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

So here's the question...Know anyone who is willing to do this type of work? I was thinking of just driving to the rough part of town looking for a welder/fabricator who has little left to lose and employ him /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif But i thought this would be a good first step... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Any decent auto body shop should be able to repair the cab supports for you.

7. B_to_C

[ QUOTE ]
    Any decent auto body shop should be able to repair the cab supports for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly....how do i know which are decent, looking for a little help from guys who haved lived here longer then i have. I would be more then happy to show you where to go around Boston. But as you probably know it can take years to figure out who's reputable or not in an area. But with help from MY CK5 FRIENDS hopefully I won't have to do trial and error /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

How did your supports get cut like that? Yes, you do need them to mount the 4x4armor ones, but you could get the 4x4iron ones without fixing the supports because they weld in place and make that area a lot stronger. I didn't think Fredd was still in business?

9. B_to_C

[ QUOTE ]
    How did your supports get cut like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

- Trial and error body shop experience. I had them weld in new floor pans and when they were cutting out the old ones they just kind of cut right through everything. -when i picked up my truck there were beere cans strewn all over the inside /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif (I don't drink) ... so you can see why i would appreciate a suggestion...

[ QUOTE ]
    I didn't think Fredd was still in business?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh he is, i've been in contact with him for over a year via email - i email him every couple of months telling him i'm going to buy a winch bumper as soon as i have enough money. But you might recall how i posted pics of my bumper actually doing damage to my front fenders because my body mounts were almost non-existant. so those took priority. and i figured since my subframe has to be rebuilt anyways, i might as well attach rockerslides at the same time.

-And i just don't like how the 4x4 iron ones look /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BONUS! A pic of the winch that will be going on my Winch Bumper when i buy it. But for now...

[​IMG]

10. B_to_C

Just wanted to say thanks to all those guys from colorado who had quality suggestions on where to get the work done /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

--i'll post up about how it all works out

11. gmule

gmule 1/2 ton status

Sorry I don't have any sugestions on a shop in your area. I have never had a reason to take a car to a body shop.
    I can tell you a good shop won't be cheap.
    A good shop will be clean, well lit, and have lots of work
    Why couldn't you visit a few shops and get a feel for one that can handle the work you need done. I'm sure they would be able to provide you with some references

12. B_to_C

[ QUOTE ]
    Why couldn't you visit a few shops and get a feel for one that can handle the work you need done.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the process as we speak /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

(This is the original route i was going to go anyways, i just thought that someome would have a suggestion...oh well, no hard feelings /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif)

13. gmule

gmule 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif