Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a little help with my S-Jimmy

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by Ck1500, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

i just bought a 1988 Gmc Jimmy , for a very cheap price i thought of 450$ it has 132,000 miles on the 4.3 liter motor, still runs strong, the 4x4 works great, had to test it out the other day , :) ummm my question is in the electrical system, my gauges go crazy when i turn the lights on "even driving lights " they all go to the no power situation, like the oil pressure reads nothing , the temp reads like 260 , the battery is now reading 7 volts, but as soon as i turn the lights off, they all go back to normal operation??? anyone had this problem b4?? any help is appreciated, thanks everyone, for saving me some headaches

Ck1500

2. stump

stump Registered Member

A few months ago I had a similiar problem on my S-10 Blazer as well. When I went to turn on the headlights, parking lights, AC, etc., stuff would go crazy. Fuel guage would go up, battery guage would fluctuate, engine would run rough, and all sorts of other crazy sh!t. I replaced the alternator, battery, fuses, wires, ecm, relays, sensors, checked for electrical shorts, and just about anything else I could think of. Nothing worked so I took it to the auto shop and got the "professionals" to look at it. The problem ended up being the moter ground wire connections had come loose. Tightened them up and problem solved. [​IMG]

I good quote from my Chilton S-10 Manual: ""IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT A GOOD PERCENTAGE OF ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS CAN BE TRACED TO BAD GROUNDS""

Anyways...I hope some of these ideas help ya! Good luck! There is NOTHING more frustrating than an S-10 with electrical problems. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] HA! HA!

[​IMG]S-10 Blazer....playin' with the big boys[​IMG]

3. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Don't know if it applies but it sounds like a similar problem people have with K Blazers and often the culprit is a ground strap between the engine and body. Search forums using terms like Ground strap or ground problem, you should turn something up.

John

4. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yep, I have this problem as well. In my case I think it has something to do with my license plate lights...they are hagning freely and when I just put them up to the bumper everything goes fine. I also think it could be something to do with that I have been hit in the rear TWICE, once I was still and the other car had a lady in it yapping on her cell phone with the skinny pedal all the way down and the only thing ever damaged was the bumper!!! I have a 93...with an 83 bumper!!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

5. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help with this issue, i figuired it out, come to find out there was a ground shorted out underneath near the fusebox i didn't see at first, but its done, and i am happy again!!!

thanks for EVERYONE comments they really pointed me into the RIGHT direction!!!!

thanks again, i can't say it enough!!!!

ck1500