Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A little help with some muscle

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by CaptCrunch, Apr 2, 2002.

1. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well for those who don't know... I'm dying without some muscle in my garage after going from 7 vehicles down to one when I went back to school. Now that the end of school (again) is in sight I looking for a nice muscle car to most likely turn into a drag car, but depending on what I buy it could become a summer driver. Have been scouting nation-wide for a rust free (or at least the quarters and window areas need to be rust free... floors can be delt with) car. Figured I'd shoot a line across CK5 to see if anyone has any leads for me. Here is what I would be looking for:

1. 69 Chevelle (Malibu)
    2. 71-72 Chevelle (malibu)
    3. 68-72 Nova
    4. 70-73 Camaro
    5. 1968 Camaro
    6. 69-70 GTO (Possibly lemans 69-73)

*Not really looking for a all original priced to wholley heck car. Whatever the car... it will probably be ripped up. If it becomes a driver it will probably be Haltech control custom port injection SBC, other wise a drag car will get a 12pt cage and a destroked 502.
    *Don't care about interior condition very. Also paint, engine/tranny/rear combo is not really important. Definetly don't cae about original this or numbers matching. Main key is rust free on the sheet metal and not another salt belt rustbox.

Thanks guys and gals

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

how about a 79 v-8 Monte-Carlo?

John

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You know what my vote would be for!!!
    ... The first gen camaros are the best!
    '68 Camaro!!!
    I think owning a camaro now is even cooler considering how GM is killing the F-body. There's rumors of bringing back the camaro and not the firebird in 3 years or so, but who knows.
    The price of camaros are going to start going up even more if they go outta production i would think.

How 'bout this one? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1817400286

4. CaptCrunch

Thanks for the offer Chevyracing... but already is an 82 around here that I think is sweet. it's is in ugly black primer and looks like hell, but he has a pretty nice 355 in it, and probably the best thing is he has it dialed in suspension wise like a T! He runs at some of our "bending da law" street races. Probably the second fasted car out consistantly to my buddy rob's 67 Impala.

5. CaptCrunch

Yeah Ryan... figures a guy with a sweet 1st gen camaro says go G1 /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. Well I have a natural draw to the 68's and they IMO are the hardest of the 3 years to find, thus they aren't the same old everyday joe Camaro. My gf really loves the 1st gen camaros (not like her opinion means jack to me.. j/k [good thing she doesn't read this board LOL /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
    , but then she doesn't like the blazer so there shows youher opinion LOL) I really like to go my own way...something at least a bit different.

That 67 on eBay is sweet, but way outta my price range... plus it is someone else's project. I like my own. Something w/ a sbc that needs some work would be great or even a BBC car would work (Then I could redo and put the bbc in my truck /forums/images/icons/cool.gif !) Final thought is if it is a drag car... I really am leaning to a tube chasis if it isn't a full frame car. We are learning from my last mistakes with my old drag car... it was a third gen trans am and needed a ton of fab work to make it hold up. Of course I blew the caps right off my Ford 9 in it. So it will be a D60 or D80 all the way this time.

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

GTO - man I love GTO's!

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Me too. I love GTOs. Mikey, I will sell you mine for 4,000 obo. Its an original southern Cali car, so very little rust. No motor or tranny, but its complete, including an extra front end and bumper. The pass fender is a NOS fender, and the drivers fender had a little rusr, but I patched it already. I replaces all the front end componets and bushings, and had the P/S pump rebuilt. I sanded and repainted everything in the engine compartment satin black. No rust on the inner fenders or anything, looks brand new under there.I have all new weather stripping for it, new body bushings and bolts, and the A/C for it if you would want it. Its got a back seat in it, no front seats, but I can get some original blue ones for 200 bucks, with no tears. Let me know

Dan

8. Ryan B.

Mikey...
    From time to time on ebay I'll see a tube frame chassis on ebay for a first gen camaro, full tubbed and a 10 point cage, an NHRA certified car only missing engine/ tranny, and needing some new tires... For like $5,000.
    If i had the money there were a few that i saw that i could have totally gone for to build an all out Strip only car. (bur of course still drive it on the street /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I would love to have any of them on your list, but I am partial to Nova's. I had a '70 model a few years back, it was originally a 6 cylinder car, but I put in a 400 small block with a few mods and it ran like a raped ape. I wish I still had it.

10. CaptCrunch

Sounds interesting DD...got any pics?

11. DesertDueler

I can get you some. My sister just bought a digital camera, so I will have her take some pics of it.

12. Ryan B.

watch out man... I heard DesertDueler's GTO is a rustbucket! He just did a good job hiding all the rust bubbles with duct tape and bondo. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

... but the passanger side fender has NOS so it should go really fast!

13. DesertDueler

Funny Ryan. No the only rust on it was on the drivers fender which I repaired, and on the metal piece between the glass and the trunk lid. Typical spot for the old A-bodies. Thats it for rust. All the body panels are original except for the pass fender and the pass 1/4 panel. It was replaced with a NOS (new old stock, Ryan) panel as well. I had the rear bumper rechromed as well.

14. Ryan B.

LMAO!!!
    I'm just kidding around dude. I know. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

...I'm confused......... so it doesn't have NOS? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

15. DesertDueler

I know you were, sure it has NOS, but no motor, that way its lighter and faster /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

16. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Got a '70 chevelle for sale pretty cheap, interior stripped ready for cage and such. I noticed your list pretty much excluded the '70 but thought, what the hell! hehe.

17. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

Except for the GTO, your list is pretty generic... Why not look for something more interesting? IMHO, you should forget the Nova. It is very hard to make a nova cool, no matter how fast it goes. A nova is one step above an El Camino, though.

18. Ryan B.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

It is very hard to make a nova cool, no matter how fast it goes. A nova is one step above an El Camino, though.

<hr></blockquote>

I don't know man.
    At least it's all GM mostly chevy on that list.
    I've seen some bad ass nova's.
    And El Camino's... Come on a 60's Elky with a several thousand dollar flame paint job and a 6-71 blower outta the hood doesn't get you're adrenaline pumping? I'd drive it!
    I don't like vega's very much at all... but my buddy has a tubbed and caged vega in the 9's and should go 8's.
    Thats nuts. and he drives it on the street.
    That shuts me up and makes me appriciate even vegas.

I agree that novas and elky's aren't that good a lookin' but when they've got nice paint and a healthy engine... It's bad ass 'cause it's a chevy.

At least it's not a 5.0 mustang or a ford, or heaven forbid one of those damn ricer imports.

Change that statement to "It is very hard to make an import cool no matter how fast it goes" and i could agree with you almost 100% /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

19. CaptCrunch

heck man a Nova in grey primer that runs 9's is cooler then almost anything. Vega... even better yeat! I'm all about the seventies drag racing era! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Even though I wasn't even born for a lot of it /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif It is also my style... take your wussy show car paint job and polish all the ugly chrome under your hood and trash that idea along with the yppie pro touring wave about. I'm not knocking the pro touring idea, but if I see anopther sbc chromed out 69 plain jane camaro I'm gonna puke. I'm all about speed on this one. I have run ten's before so my goal is nine's. I will have enough in the the car mechanically to do two resorations, but that is the sentence to being a speed freak.

IMO there is nothing un-generic these days. I guess I wouldn't mind a lat 60's or early 70's Olds cutlass but that is even in the same vote. I really like the 64 chevelle and gto styles as well but we are kinda looking at what I can find that is decently clean first. Evereything earlier then that is a bit too big and heavy for what I want to do, but I would love to build up a nestolgic resto with mecnaical fuel injection and such on a 50's car in the future.

And I love some other non-gm cars, but not as much as the GM's. I really like the 68-69 Mustang fastbacks, but they cost a mint... Love old SuperBees, GTX's, and few other Mopars... but again cost a mint to buy and even more for a motor. Hmmm.. I guess an old Falcon w/ a 460 in it could be pretty cool.

20. CaptCrunch

Hey overkill... almost forgot about that one... you got any more pics since we last messaged? How is it around the windows and under that vynal top. where you located in FL again? email me the details and stuff.