Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A little off topic (Home Audio?)

Discussion in 'Audio' started by DYOLLP, Aug 18, 2003.

1. DYOLLP

DYOLLP Registered Member

Hi,
    I have been reading up on all of the great ideas about car audio and I would like to hear some of the forums opinions on Home Audio systems. I know this isn't exactly the right place for this post, but I figured you guys knew so much about car audio maybe you all could help me out in picking a good reciever and speaker set up for my home. I have an idea of the reciever I want to purchase (Dennon 2802). I mostly need opinions on speakers. What's the best brand? What to look for?

Thank you,
    Peter /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

dennon good. kill wallet but goooooood!!! lol. dennon is one of the best. good clean sound, lots of power (the one i want has suttin like 200Watts per channel, note, thats for each channel. issa real nice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif for speakers, go to partsexpress.com or crutchfield.com I go to parts express and buy Peerless subs, mids, and Dayton Loudspeaker Planar Tweeters (nuthin compares, cept compression drivers or ribbon transducers, goood sound). Most aren't too terribly expensive and (assuming u have at least some carpentry skills) u can save lotsa money by building ur own boxes. have fun! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm a big fan of JBL home audio. [​IMG] For speakers I'd get the JBL Northridge with the PB 12 subwoofer. Thats what I've got, and it sounds really good !!! Everything is ballanced just right, And the JBL "LFE" system sets the crossover on the sub for you, I've yet to hear mine sound anything but perfect. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

I've got an all Sony setup, accept for the speakers, and those are the Bose accoustimass 10... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Are you looking to build a home theater or a nice 2-channel audio only system?

Prevailing wisdom says you should use identical speakers for the front 3 channels (which limits speaker selection!) and I suppose if you want to take it ALL THE WAY, the surround speakers should all be identical too.

I've got some nice equipment for 2-channel audio, but regrettably have not completed the "upgrades" needed to get the whole home theater thing going....... I guess I burned out on the hobby (and ran out of money) before finishing! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've got an all Sony setup, accept for the speakers, and those are the Bose accoustimass 10... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

me too. i have Sony 500 watt dolby digital surround sound reciever, Sony 5 disc changer, Sony DVD player, 2 high end Sony VCR's, 27" Sony Wega, Sony surround sound speaker & sub package. but, i had to go with Yamaha 8" bookshelf speakers. i used to have a Philips LCD video projector to project DVD's, etc onto a 6 ft. wide screen. Sony isn't high end super high sound quality stuff, but i love it. it's really good for the price. and sounds great for what i use it for.

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have a 500 wat pioneer 5 disk dvd surround sound receiver that i use as my home entertainment system and it sounds great i have one speaker in each corner of the room angled toward the center of the room the center speaker is above the tv and the base speaker is below the tv /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif