Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A little progress this weekend...narrowing, rear shocks, and winch...NOT FOR DIAL-UP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Sep 25, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, I made some progress this weekend but for the most part it was a bust. My "friend" whom was supposed to weld quite a few things for me on Sunday never showed and hasn't answered his phone since. So....for now all I've got is photos of parts and mockups since all three projects I wanted to do this weekend involved welding, so none of them are really done.

I started out Friday night by ripping open boxes. In one was a Warn 8274 that I bought off of e-bay. In nice condition and works just fine...but the serial number and model number are cut out of the metal panel :crazy: Dunno if it's stolen or what but oh well, it's in my truck now. The final mount will be a little less bulky but look very close to the mockup. It's ~ 1" from the radiator and 2" from the top of the core support. I did the best I could to improve the approach angle but 8274's are pretty bulky so it's about the same as it would be with a factory bumper. Just a word from the wise, don't try and mock up a winch mount for one of these things alone, they weigh in excess of 100 lbs. and are not fun to try and manhandle by yourself.

[​IMG]

In the other was a set of Pro-Comp shocks for the rear from Black Mesa Offroad. They're the 12" travel models and should work perfect with the DIY4X tabs I ordered eons ago and left sitting on my desk. Even though the DIY tabs are a pretty simple piece, they're top notch and the service I received from Kert was once again excellent.

[​IMG]

For those of you who haven't checked into the vendor's section lately, Black Mesa is a small new offroad business that's just been started by a longtime member of CK5. Their website is blackmesaoffroad.com but is still under quite a bit of construction. I received excellent service and received e-mails or PM's every step of the way. He even followed up on shipping and when UPS tracking said the package had been delivered I received a PM asking if everything was in order...and this was for two cheap Pro-Comp shocks. Anyways, I'm not affiliated with them in any way, they just have a large list of products, great service, even better prices, and I'd like to see a vendor from our very own board make it.

[​IMG]

After I took way too long to mock up the winch, a bunch of friends came over and we partied so that was the end of Friday night. On saturday I started working on the narrowing.

The blank canvas:

[​IMG]

Wheel tub gone and the cut laid out:

[​IMG]

First side cut and strapped together:

[​IMG]

Another view:

[​IMG]

Sides strapped together late at night, one side of the bumper is cut and one side isn't, that's why it looks screwed:

[​IMG]

Various views in its current state:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

looks pretty good...keep up the progress and keep us posted

3. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

yellow pine winch mount

Hey,that looks pretty good-you aren't messing around.I like the winch mount-do you think those wood screws are gonna hold or are you gonna glue it up also?What about varnish?Satin or gloss?

4. mikey_d05

Mock up man, mock up, I don't like to waste 1/4" plate :p:

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Finally pics of a rear taper that hasn't had the roof cut off. Can you take some detailed pics of the cuts up by the cab to allow the bedsides to taper. It looks as if you don't have any creases in the outside skin of the body....is that true?

Thanks

6. mikey_d05

I didn't cut the bed up by the cab, I just took a big ratchet strap and bent it in...not all that much force involved. It actually bent at the rear pillar of the cab...just twisted really. Only problem with that is that the strikers for the doors pulled back ~ 1/2" which meant they didn't fit anymore. Fixed it with a grinder and a little patience.

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks

Is there anyway you can take a pic of the bend and the striker bolt?

8. mikey_d05

The truck is a couple of hours away right now since I'm at school so I'll do my best to explain it verbally.

I didn't cut the bed up front to create an area to bend, so it pretty much twisted the pillar behind the door instead. The axis of this twist is well inside (closer to the centerline of the body) than the striker bolt, rotating it slightly outwards and a little bit backwards. It came backwards enough so that the nub on the end became the latching point instead of the smaller shank that normally does. If the PO of your truck wasn't an idiot you could simply pull the bolt, shim it out 1/4"-1/2" and it'd work great. BUT....mine would't budge so I ground down the head of the bolt to match the diameter of the shank.

Sorry I don't have pics, I'll take some the next time I go home if the explanation doesn't quite do it.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Looks really good Mike

10. mikey_d05

Oh yeah, I still need to cut the bumper so it's even also. It was late and I was exhausted as well as on my last cutoff wheel.