Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A little progress

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Yukon Jack, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Got out to the shop the last two nights and got the pinion angle dialed in on the 14 bolt I'm swapping in. Monday night I got it close and got the measurement for the rear driveshaft. Took it in Tuesday for new u-joints, including change to a conversion u-joint for the 14 bolt I'm putting in, lengthening, and balancing of the finished driveshaft.

Went out last night and dropped the rear pinion down a touch, took more measurements and got the angles finalized. Now I need to mark where the shock tabs need to be and then pull the 14 bolt back out and run it over to a buddy's to have the tabs and spring perches welded on. When I get the axle back I will then install the Detroit locker and then I can reinstall and get the brake lines modified and connected.

A little progress, but I will take all I can get!

Oh, after I got that done last night I cracked open three cardboard boxes containing a new three piece rolling tool chest - I've been wanting one of those forever and Sears had a sale on their QuietGlide series chests that I just couldn't pass up. Got the intermediate draw chest for free. It should fit my needs very well.

2. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, YJ.......you know the rules! PICS DUDE PICS!!! Of the toolbox and said rear end:D

3. Yukon Jack

I'll snap some tonight if I get out to the shop. I figured when I was posting this that I would get busted for not having any pics :D

4. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Only the beginning of coming progress would be my bet. :waytogo:

Good to hear the blazer's getting some attention.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Asking for pics of someone's "box" and "rearend" sounds wrong......VERY, VERY wrong!!! :haha:

6. Yukon Jack

Here are the promised pics. Believe it or not, I've been to the shop now 3 nights in a row - that is unheard of these days!

Here is the new rolling tool chest - haven't even put any tools in it yet and I'm already digging it.

[​IMG]

Here is the rear axle - had to take it back this morning as the grease zert on the rear axle side of the shaft was hitting the shaft's yoke - they reversed it so will have to see if it will now work and if I can get my grease gun on it.

[​IMG]

This uses the conversion u-joint for the 14 bolt. When I went to mock it up last night I discovered the transfer case yoke is also the 1350 series so I had to go back today and have them swap in the same conversion joint that is now used on the rear of the shaft. I'm wondering if that means the NP205 that I'm using came out of a 1 ton since it uses a 1350 u-joint? Anyone know?

[​IMG]

Finally, pulled the rear axle out and now it can go to my buddy's to have the perches welded on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think that is enough pics for today :D

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  7. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

Which rig is this 3/4 ton stuff going under (the flatbed)?
    Don't you have a couple of rigs?

8. Yukon Jack

All of this is happening to the 70 K5. The 69 K20 is pretty much done for now but if a Dana 60 every comes my way, it will get that upgrade.

The 70 K5 is getting donor axles from a 78 3/4 ton and then the transfer case and driveshaft are from unknown vehicles.

The 70 K5 is also happily awaiting this 400 sbc which I had rebuilt back in like May or so.

[​IMG]

It ought to be alot of fun, if I can ever get it done that is :rolleyes:

9. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Very nice - can't wait to see that Blazer rolling

10. Yukon Jack

Found all these spiders in my shop last night

[​IMG]

Having a little trouble identifying their species but the good thing is they are now out making way for the Detroit locker for the 14 bolt going into my 70 K5.

Everything I read said the swap was pretty easy and that is definitely true - the hardest part so far has been getting the ring gear bolts torqued to 120 ft/lbs - having a hard time using my vise to secure the carrier to allow me to torque the bolts enough.

Does anyone know if I need to use any sealant on the 8 bolts that the hold the axle shafts to the hub? When I pulled those bolts they seemed to have something on them and there was a little blue RTV visible on the back side of the axle flange when I pulled the axles away from the hubs.

The materials I read about installing the locker didn't mention using any sealant in that area.

11. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

The blue stuff is probably thread locking compound so the bolts don't come loose. I think I read they recommend putting some on, although I didn't and haven't had any trouble yet.... (fingers crossed)

12. Yukon Jack

This weekend got some free time during the day on Saturday (might I add, that never happens!) and my wife said, why don't you go work on the Blazer :laugh: so off I went.

About a week ago I got the Detroit Locker installation finished, got the rear cover installed and fluid back in the differential.

[​IMG]

A few days ago I got the new rear brake lines bent up so on Saturday I got the new rear rubber brake line installed and then jacked the rear of the Blazer way in the air and rolled the 14 bolt in place. Got the u-bolts in place and now the Blazer is finally attached to the new 14 bolt. Stance is pretty good and the rear axle is located fairly centered in the wheel wells now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now on to reworking the front brake lines a bit, pulling the spare sbc that is sitting in the engine bay and I can finally reinstall the rebuilt 400 sbc! Geez, at this rate, I will be done by . . . well, I'll be done when I get done. I've learned not to set any expected completion dates.

13. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Coming along great :bow: !

Did you do the tube bending on the brakes? I want to set up the front brake lines like the rear; a single line splitting at the center/pumpkin. Any pros/cons about that?

14. Yukon Jack

A while back I bought a quality tube bender tool and those are so nice to have. I did the bends on the rear tubes - not perfect, but will definitely work. Still need to do some patch tubes for the front brakes from the master to the proportioning valve.

Not sure about splitting the front brakes like the rear - sorry.

15. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

so i'm confused....what is your complete plan for this rig?
    Other than the obvious your showing in this thread.

16. Yukon Jack

My complete plan, well, I bought the K5 a while back and it hadn't ran in a few years the owner said - more like 6-7 years at least. It was missing it's transfer case but supposedly the motor was good. The front drum brake Dana 44 was in need of a rebuild, the brakes were frozen to the drums and one drum was broken. The rear axle was the stock 12 bolt. The tires on it were beyond trashed.

I had the tires you see on it now just sitting around - they were on the 69 K20 when I bought it and they have tons of tread. They are on 8 lug rims. I wanted to use these tires but rather than spend money buying some 6 lug rims I decided I would convert the K5 to 3/4 ton gear. That got me disk brakes up front and allowed me to use these tire/rims. So I bought a 78 3/4 ton parts truck. That also avoided the expense of rehabing the front axle and brakes.

Also picked up a NP205 to replace the missing Dana 20 transfer case.

A while back I got the motor fired up and it was gushing oil from the bottom end. Pulled the motor and decided I would have it looked at even though I suspected the rear main seal was bad. Turned out the oil filter gasket was binding up, even though I had checked that, and that was why it was gushing oil - but, the motor also had a bent rod. So I had a friend of a friend rebuild it for a very fair price.

I replaced the 4" lift that was on the K5 when I bought it - as the front springs were obviously for a 73-up truck.

So right now I'm getting this K5 roadworthy. Being in somewhat boring Kansas and having little free time to go offroading anyway, my main use of this K5 will be just to have fun with it, drive it to work occassionally, and take it in the dirt when I can find the time and opportunity to do so.

My two girls are very excited about this K5 - they think it will be awesome when the top is off - of course they are right!

So, those are my plans - to get this K5 roadworthy and enjoy it. It will be stouter with the 3/4 ton gear, I will get to use my existing tires and rims and then when it is time for new tires, I can step up a bit in size and finally get rid of those split rims.

Hope that takes care of some of the confusion.

17. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

it answered all of my question's......thanks
    BTW i love the line "i want my wheels to fit my running gear"......kinda sounds like somthing i would try to pull on my wife :haha:

Funny part is i do rationalize things like that to convince myself its ok to modify my rig.

Anyway, glad to hear your having some fun and your girls are excited about the rig.
    Ny kids like mine as well, the wife on the other hand just looks at it as a bad investment. I always try lines like "its a better investment than the POS computer you have".

Good luck, have fun, and keep the pics and post updated.

18. Yukon Jack

My rationalization to my wife when I initially lifted the 69 K20 was, the flatbed trailer I own sits pretty tall and I had to lift the 69 K20 so it could pull the flatbed trailer. I don't think she bought that one either. :D

19. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

Reminds me of the old commercial where the kid tells his old man he didn't want to mix the new gas with the old gas, so he drove the car all day.

20. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Boy, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has to 'convince the wife...' :D :haha: !!