Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A little restoration advice please...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hotlanta75-k5, Dec 27, 2002.

1. hotlanta75-k5

hotlanta75-k5 Newbie

Anyone have any good ideas as far as suppliers for interior parts, I want to be able to get all my parts from one place...hoping that color matching wont be an issue....better yet anyone know of a place I can get a whole interior "package"....dash pad, seat covers, door panels, etc.?

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

3. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd like to let you know you've found the best sorce for information about GM trucks on the web, and welcome you to CK5. Had to say that sence I noticed this was your first post. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are going full on restoration, as you want it to look like it rolled off the show room floor, you are going to have to go NOS.

Unless the maker is licensed by GM (and even then, maybe) you'll more than likely end up getting a part that is not going to exactly duplicate factory pieces. Interior is EXTREMELY bad for this. Color, texture, material, fit, finish, all are problem areas.

Be cautious any time you look at aftermarket parts, and make you sure you get the whole story on them before buying them and noticing that they are different AFTER they arrive on your door. Take LMC door panels for instance. No slam on LMC, they note it prominently in the catalog regarding at least some of their door panels. "not an exact reproduction".

Just speculation here, but I think aftermarket makers (stupidly) believe that turning out a not quite exact replica is ok, (meaning=piece of crap) as long as they can keep the cost down 5%, and in not making an EXACT replica, keep from unleashing GM's wrath on them for not having the part licensed. Personally, I'd rather pay more if I knew the part would fit and look as GM intended, since GM has no concern whatsoever for owners of its older vehicles, unless there is free money (licensing) involved.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

www.yearone.com They are bassed in Tucker off 78. I know they have stuff through 72 and I think they just started to carry 73-91 Blazer.
    http://www.goodmarkindustries.com/ Might check with http://www.kingparts.com/ ( I know he orders through Goodmark) You MIGHT be able to order through King (saving tax) and pick up local (saving shipping). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    BigJBear and I are about to part a 74. Might have some odd parts available from it.
    Several of us in Atlanta run with www.gbr4wd.com including me and a couple run with the Renegades.
    Welcome to CK5

7. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

cheyennepickup.com Basically the same stuff as LMC, except these guys have their catalog online.

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    , I'd rather pay more if I knew the part would fit and look as GM intended

[/ QUOTE ] DITTO!

I am having a very hard time getting my interior pieces to match the originals. It's some "ox blood" color- deep maroon..anyway, the different manufacturers- for instance the carpet will be x shade and the door panels will be y shade...the rest will be z shade...I finally realized to go with Black carpet- keep my original door panels- just took about 5 hours to clean them up, reapply the trim pieces so they stay etc... and it will match. Mine had the white trim on the celing- with the white headliner- took those off, put black velvet on them, and put them back..looks better, and matches the floor.

on the stuff you can get from GM- pay the extra $$ and get them. My doors, hood, and fenders (inners too) all came from GM, they were almost three times the $$ but I didn't have to mess with ANYTHING...and if they didn't fit, I only had to go back to my local dealer. These aftermarket companies will tell you flat out "this may not fit correctly"...won't be able to return it to them.

good luck, interior is the HARDEST part to redo!!!!!!!

and welcome to CK5!

Brandy