Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A little tease for you guys (502 BBC, King Coil Overs, Dana 60's,SAS) PICS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Jan 11, 2003.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

A little tease for you guys (502 BBC, King Coil Overs, Dana 60\'s,SAS) PICS

First things first. I figured there was alread a good writeup in the whole SAS swap thing so I will just post some pics as to what we are doing in the shop.

Well, this isn't you're run of the mill SAS swap, mainly for one reason, but we'll get to that later.

here is all the specs.

The motor. (dosn't have to do w/ anything but hey, it's a 502 w/ all the goodies pushing gobs of HP) [​IMG]

Add some High quality heims from Aurora in the (big ones)1" w/ 1 1/4 shaft, and (small) 3/4" w 3/4" shaft varity.
    [​IMG]

position the axle w/ assortment of brackets and plates. Connect those plates and heims via 4 link w/ 2" .120 4130 Cromoly (no pics yet of the links)
    [​IMG]

and suspend the axle w/ a set of 3" King Remote Res duel rate coil overs (3 1/2" coils (300/450))w/ 14" travel. Just for size reference the smaller King is a 2.5" 14" travel smoothie, and next to it is an average joe shock. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    [​IMG]

More pics of the truck and other stuff SAS swap

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: A little tease for you guys (502 BBC, King Coil Overs, Dana 60\'s,SAS) PICS

way to cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

why are the shock hoops mounted on poly bushings?
    would that not take some of the shocks effectiveness away?

4. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

nice

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm collecting all the parts for my rear 4 link currently. Still going to stick with leafs in the front for a while though. If I may ask, what are your numbers on the 4 link? How much anti-dive did you figure in? Whats your roll center and what style of 4 link are you going to run? Or is it a 3 link?

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

good eye, looks like 3 link brackets
    I can't wait to see it.
    only enough big hiems for 2 links, panhard and lonely toplink?
    rest in smaller size?

7. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Vary cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    How much anti-dive did you figure in? Whats your roll center and what style of 4 link are you going to run?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have no idea on the roll center and anti- dive---havn't really asked, definately going to be 4-link w/ a short and a long arm (kinda like the dodge setup.)

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    why are the shock hoops mounted on poly bushings?
    would that not take some of the shocks effectiveness away?

[/ QUOTE ]
    he did this so it would be able to take the hoop on and off if something gets damaged--most (if not all) of the baja style truck i have seen (granted thats not many) have all had this setup.

right now the guy who owns the truck (502 and all)uses it to haul around hay on his farm---talk about a cool hay wagon huh?...i have a feeling this truck is gonna be akinda a pre-runner for his real race truck buy the end of the year.

im gonna go look for some calculations and come back w/ some #'s for you guys.

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Re: A little tease for you guys (502 BBC, King Coil Overs, Dana 60\'s,SAS) P

All the "baja style" shock mounts I have seen (quite a lot) have not had poly bushings. The only poly bushings I've seen (on frames) are for cage mounts on prerunner/street trucks. I would want to have the shocks solidly mounted in steel. The mounts could still be made removable, but the shock mount should have no play. Like below.....my 2 cents.
    [​IMG]