Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a little wiring trouble

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89Burben, Nov 14, 2006.

1. 89Burben

89Burben Registered Member

its an 81 k10 with a 454/th350 In order to start the truck i have to turn the key a little so i can shift the column into drive then back into neutral to start. Is there some sort of safty switch?

also the wipers are on all the time unless i unplug the motor.......

thanks

wiring diagrams would help if anyone had some...

2. Canadianbuilder

Canadianbuilder Registered Member

Hmmmm not sure if I quite understand the first question,but yes the gear selector will not move if the ignition is not turned on and there is a neutral safety switch the vehicle won`t start unless it is in neutral or park.The ignition switch(where you put the key in not the actual switch further down the column)might be wore allowing you to move the gear selector without actually turning the key to the "on" position.The wiper problem could be a faulty wiper switch or possibly if it is a truck with intermittent wipers,the control box under the column might be srewed.

3. 89Burben

yeah the ignition switch is fine. I believe it is the neutral saftey switch. in park the engine does not turn over. If i go from the park position directly to the neutral position, it still wont start. I have to go from park, reverse, neutral to drive then back to neutral and then it will start. Either the switch is worn out, or out of adjustment, ill have to fiddle with it. Looking at the Haynes service manual, you have to loosen the mounting screws on the switch and stick a 3/32" drill in a hole and move the switch back and fourth till the drill bit goes in 3/8ths of an inch........can anyone confirm this?

As for the wipers, i dont think that they are the delay kind.....Its the style that has the switch on the dashboard and a knob to rotate.

4. 89Burben

well i took the neutral safty switch outa another truck and it works good now.

as far as the wipers i put in another wiper switch and it also does not shut off.

the wipers are pulse wipers, so i am thinking the pulse wiper controller under the dash...