Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A Modern Day Structural PITA

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Dec 5, 2001.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

With that said how many of you guys have to park in parking towers? Orr...how many of you guys are supposed to but can't fit your rig in there? I post this question wondering how high of lift/tire size I can get away with and maybe clear the average parking tower ceilings. I know alot of you in TX especially Dallas and Houston must stumble upon a parking tower situation every now and then. I would like to go with 33's and a 4inch lift but I fear thats too big. I think I may try 33's and a 2.5inch lift until I can avoid the garages. For now when I goto school I have no choice but the garage so I am still on 31's.

Granny LOW and let her GO!!
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

My husband used to have a Furd (used to) 2 wheel drive with a 2" body lift and lights up top and he couldn't go in them so i'd say a blazer with 4" wouldn't. [​IMG]

Don't hit me, Mr. Moderator... I'll go back on topic... I swear![​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer</a>

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have 32's and a 2.5" lift, and I get real close to some of the overhead pillers in parking garages. I have to take my CB antenna off before I go in to. There have been some garages that I know I won't fit into so I don't even try. Another thing designers are inconsiderate of in parking gargaes is length. If my truck is temorarily imobalized (sp) I have to drive my dads F-350 dual cab long beg. I won't evne attempt to park that thing in a garage. There is not enough height or turning room necessary to fit that truck.

Oh ya, I also have a roof rack that comes off my roof about 4" or so.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I was just downtown the other day and started into the garage, and the max height was 6'2"!! With 33's and no lift, I am either above or equal to that height. Usually its like 6'4" I think, but I can't imagine as space gets more costly, that the height allowed will *increase*.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I couldn't even walk around in that garage standing straight up! I would hit my head if the clearence is only 6'2". I'm 6'4".

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

6. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I think most of them around here are 7ft. I have put my blazer with 4in. lift and 33s in a couple of parking garages, but its a tight fit.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

7. Philly87

Philly87 1/2 ton status

My 87 has a 2.5 inch lift on 33 inch mudders and it fits fine in parking garages. One thing you may consider is I regret not going four inch on mine. When I park my Blazer next to others with a four it's only about half an inch shorter than them so you may consider the four inch.

Philip

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The parking garage where I worked several years ago (downtown Phoenix) had fluorescent lights running lengthwise down the center of the "drive" lane. My '75 Blazer hard top had the roof rack, 4" lift, and 35" tires. Looked close so I parked in the sun the first day. When I measured, the posted height on the parking deck was just over 1" more than my rack. So, in I went. First floor, no problem so I relaxed. About half way around the second floor (looking for a non-reserved spot that was open) I hear an ungodly noise! The lights had little wire safety grids on them and many of them were drooping. My rack had caught one, wadded it up and ripped 2 strips of lights off the roof! So, I start backing back down to go back out. One problem. There was a nice, fancy, lit, "exit" sign hanging down that was apparently installed after the clearance was calculated. Well, when I backed past the cut through (to the side I would have been coming down on latter) I took out the whole blasted sign. Completely destroyed it. When I pulled out from under it, it came down, swinging on it's conduit right into the back of an expensive car in a "reserved" spot. [​IMG] I, like a good little citizen, went by the guard shack on the way out to tell them what happened. Yeah, I knew what they would do. I was pissed and WANTED THEM TO. Sure enough, they throw a fit (actually YELLED at me! Said they were calling the cops. I jumped right back in their face and told them (actually yeld with my mouth about 2" in front of the little @T^%$'s nose) "GOOD! Because I want a report so that your insurance will have to fix the scratch on my top." You see, the clearance sign was clearly posted right over the guard shed and I *knew* that I cleared. He said, "NO WAY!" and took out a measuring stick. They actually had one! Anyway, he confirmed it and suddenly changed his attitude. The scratch (all the damage I had) wasn't worth fooling with so I just parked on the first level or outside from for a while. About a week later they had a new higher sign up and fixed the hanging grids. That stupid guard glared at me every time I drove in... [​IMG]

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

9. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

LOL!! can't wait till i have my first adventure...I don't have a roof rack or light bar or 35's soo looks like i am cleared for a 4inch lift and 33's :)

Granny LOW and let her GO!!
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

10. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

ROFLMAO.! Oh man, I thought I had it bad cause my Jimmy wouldn't fit in my own garage! 'Got half way in and the roof was rubbing the door, DAMN. Good thing I can sneak it into the bay at work.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hehe, yeah, it was kind of funny after the fact. I really left a trail of distruction and carnage as I tried to get out of that second level. [​IMG] The guard just flat could not believe I was under the limit. First the he screemed at me after I told him what happened (Blazer right in front of his door) was, "What the @%# did you think you were doing trying to bring that thing in here!!! Can't you read the sign (pointing up). I'm calling the cops!!! (pulls the cordless out of his belt holster-gotta hate rent-a-cops like that" Hehe, all that and it didn't even bust up my rack. Just had a kinda scapped scuffed place at the back of the top where I smashed/ripped off the EXIT sign/light. Can of cheap white spray paint (bought previously to correct some rock rash) and good as new.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.