Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A moment of silence for the camaro

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Twiz, Jul 1, 2001.

1. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

camaro

Yep, She's going away. A legend, the Chevrolet camaro is on it's last production year (2002). It is truly a shame. That would leave only the Corvette as the only rear wheel drive G.M. production car in the U.S. I'am totaly crushed over this news. I have driven several camaros and Pontiac Firebirds, most rescently a WS-6, WOW! The camaros and Firebirds are factory equipped hot-rods! They drive and handle with the best, - they will be gone in 2003.

The low sales and out-dated assembly plant spelled the demise for the camaro and Firebird. I also suspect that the high insurence rates also play a part in the role. Rumors have been flying for years, and untill the day comes, I wil still keep hope, but it doesn't looke good.

The camaro, General Motors muscle car- gone.

Twiztid

2. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Amen brother

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Not that this compares but Honda is stopping producing the Prelude as well. That was the only Honda I ever thought I'd buy if I was in the market for that type of car....

As for the Camero. My friend has a 67 and that is the sweetest car. I love to ride around in it because of the looks it gets. It's pretty much stock but it has some guts. You gas it and it sounds like a real car and tears it up... those cars were/are awesome... it's too bad they can't keep making them... seems like too many cars are ending up stopped production to make room for these ugly newer style cars that look like a blind person designed them....

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Atleast they didn't turn it into a front-wheel drive clunker, like they did the Monte Carlo, Malibu, Nova, Impala, etc. Sad to see, but atleast they're letting it die with dignity.

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Stand at the position of attention, brothers and sisters... "Taps" is playing.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

The low sales and out-dated assembly plant spelled the demise for the camaro and Firebird. I also suspect that the high insurence rates also play a part in the role.

<hr></blockquote>

Well, first off, who the hell can afford a brand new car, especially with the prices they go for now?!?! And the fact they are plastic? [​IMG]

Its also a crock insurance companies have to raise the rates for these cars. You will see the best drivers with clean records, etc. and their rates are still going to be high! [​IMG]

GM is truly making a mistake to quit this car!!! If only they would keep everything 'cost conservative', they wouldnt have to quit the production! But hell no, just go right on and keep raising the price tag for all those plastic POS's!!! [​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Bummer. I was hoping someday when I made enough money to buy a brand new one, but I won't make enough by 2003.

This sucks!! But I agree with Pugsley, at least it's dying with dignity...

Ratch
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**

8. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

And they are going to keep that god awful ugly mustang in production?
    Chevrolet isn't impressing me anymore...
    The Camaro/Firebird made that company what it is today in the last 3 generations...
    Well.. let's hope the demise of the Mustang isn't to far off..
    Those things are FUGLY !!!!

A well armed society is a polite society. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</A>

9. This is truly sad for me as I am an avid Camaro enthusiast. Chevrolet has done us wrong. Just 3 weeks ago I went out and bought a 2001 Camaro Z28 6speed and this car is powerful and fun to drive. Of course I kept my 86 K5 to drive in bad weather and to keep the miles off the Z28. I also am just starting to restore my 69 Camaro SS so to say the least I am pissed at Chevrolet. Well Idon't plan to let any of my Camaros go and hope to pass them on to my Son along with the K5 which he has named Monster Blazer, he is Five and loves it when I open the back window he is in heaven.

Larry86K5

10. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

And if ya think the Mushtank is ugly....wait til ya get a look at the Fugly T-bored....now, that's an ugly car....not as bad as the Aztec, but ugly just the same.....I drove one.....they go like hell....corner like an Indy car.....really a sweet ride/interior....way too much money, but the handle really sweet......Jag type rear susp, and Lincoln Towncar front susp.......Chevy has got to come up with something to compete.....I see a lot of Camaros/Firebirds on the road....can't believe their production numbers are that far down.......JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I agree with Pugsley, I'd rather see it go down with glory than become a FWD 4 banger POS like the new Impala's, Monte's, and Malibu's! But it still brings a tear to my eye.....[​IMG]

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "The longer you wait in line, the greater the liklihood that you are standing in the wrong line." [​IMG]

12. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

the camero was always the best "bang for the buck" sports car out there.. they have been keeping white trash mobile for years!!! hahaha sorry camero lovers!! i think they should of quit making them in '69

13. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

Umm Rocko seing as how 2 times more Mustangs are sold than Camaros and Firebirds combind(sp) I don't think they'll be going away any time soon. Sure whouldn't mind having a 1st Gen Camaro or a 64 1/2 Mustang sittin in my garage though!!
    Good bye Camaro So long Firebird may you rest in peace[​IMG]

[​IMG]Inline 6's are cool[​IMG]

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I won't cry or lose a wink of sleep. The last nice Camaro was made in 1969. The new ones are junk if you ask me.

That said, guess where my motor came from?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

15. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

*sniffle* Yes, it is truley horrid. The "thing" they're bringing out to replace it is sorta.....weird.
    I'm glad I have an '87 IROC [​IMG].

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</A>

16. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

If you don't like them then that's fine. But the point is, Now G.M. doesn't even have anything in the front V-8 engine rear wheel drive catagory (except the 'vette ofcourse) That just plain sucks, G.M. just handed over the market to Ford -again! Remember when the caprice was THE cop car of choice?, They canceld those too, and handed the market over to Ford's Crown vic. If Ford is selling front engine rear wheel drives, why can't G.M.? The camaros walk all over Mustangs, but I think the Mustangs sell 'cause they are smaller looking and have a more modern look to 'em. Chicks think they're "cute". And what will we have that will shut-up the "rice" runners- NOTHING. -.

As far as G.M. desision to cancel the line. What else could they do? The plant that makes them in Canada, is out-dated. If they reupped the plant it would have cost millions- to build a car whos market is sketchy at best. They thought of reskining the Cadilac Catira ,a German Cadilac that is front engine and rear wheel drive, but the catira is IRS, so that would put it in direct competion with Chevroltte Corvette. (G.M. has tried to keep the two significanlty different- they don't want to cut into their own market) They went threw a few more ideas, but I guess it just didn't pan out. G.M. did not want to write off the camaro, it just didn't make good business sense to keep it going.

As far as the cost of a new camaro. They are very inexpensive for what you get. That WS6 Pontiac Firebird was a 2000 model used car, I think the asking price was 23,000 or something like that, Thats cheep for a top of the line sports car.

Twiztid

17. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

Junk. Well i beg to differ, with respect to all, my 2000 z-28 is ten thousand times more reliable than my jimmy. 300 horse motor that can get 30 miles to the gallon on the expressway, run low 14's in a quarter mile and out handle most other cars out there, you right its junk. what was i thinking for buying such a piece of junk.

To bad that GM finally got there sh*t together with the latest camaros/firebirds guess i just have to buy a bmw now for a real sports car.

"Why is there a <font color=red>watermelon</font color=red> here?"

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can hold that opinion all you want, that's your right. A Camaro to me is nothing but another car on the road. I'm glad it can spank a Mustang, just because I really hate Mustangs.

300 HP? That's a joke right? You really want to compare that to the 1st gen big block Camaros that I said were the last nice Camaros?

And if your Camaro is really 10,000 times more reliable than your Jimmy, I'd hate to see what kind of condition your Jimmy is in. I can remember a few times here when my truck was the only thing in my driveway that would start in the cold. Through the winter, it's the only vehicle that can make it up my driveway.

And what's it good for anyway? Fun to cruise in or something? 14 seconds is a joke at the strip. My friend Joe has a '79 Camaro with an 8.5:1 350 with nothing more than an aluminum intake, electric water pump, and a 600 CFM Holley. Stock 3.73 posi rear, TH 400 with 3000 stall, 28x10 slicks, shifts at 5000 RPM, and runs a 13.50@99 MPH. That's pretty sad that that old rusty, primed POS can beat your car with nearly no modifications.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

19. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

fight, fight its a fight.......... lol

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!! <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com>http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com</A>
    75 Jimmy 11" lift with 40's

20. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

A new z28 will get high 20's in the miles/gallon and they have above 300hp. The SS is just plain awsome!!! About 30K and you have something that will run the low performance vette. It was definatly a good bang for your buck car! I rode in a '99 SS with the 6 spd and DAMN!!! That sucker will move!!!!!

But you are forgetting to take into concideration that the new camaros have to have all sorts of power robbing emmisions crap. Imagine if they put one of the new big blocks in there. Then you could make a fair comparisson. Cars aren't and can't be what they were back in the '60's. Gas prices are too high so not enough people would buy a big block camaro because the gas and insurance would be murder!

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</A>