Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A moment of silence please, another 700R4 bites the dust.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Derf00, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

At 171,000 original miles, the demise of the 700R4 was expected, just not convient. Looking into a new transmission from Phoenix Transmissions that will be built to handle more hp/tq that the 383 puts out.

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

wow, 171k. Thats pretty darn good!

What engine/combo/etc were you running? How big of a GVWR cooler? Just trying to get a feel for what the tranny was dealing with....

3. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

t-400, no overdrive but who needs that..right /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

*cough* SM465 *cough*/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry to hear it Fred, but at 171,000 I don't think that tranny owed you anything. These things always happen when it's most inconvenient time or money wise. Could have happened out on the trail...or a road trip./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

5. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

well my 1990 700r4 with only 83,000 is about to go, 170,000miles i could only wish that for mine the owner before me pulled a boat all the time, i think thats what did me in

6. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Sticks rule.Mine's going on 470,000 {Gertrag 5spd} /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

You got that right. We had a little fun trip planned this weekend to head down to see Matt(WTOR), and the now famous Toby Harrell at a playday with the Choncho Valley 4x4 Club. 100 mi down there and a 100 mi back, yep the 700 will get rebuilt, overdrive is a necessity around here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Dang! I don't know whether to play Taps, or Queen's "Another one bites the dust" at the funeral. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    overdrive is a necessity around here.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Amen! Going anywhere in Texas would be considered an epic journey in many other places. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

:cough: People blowing up 700's should reevaluate their driving style:cough:

:cough:ORD crawler has a 700:cough:

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

No, They just need to learn to rebuild a 700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.
    I just got one apart. The front planetary was so shot there was welded metal all through the trans. Funny thing was, most of the clutches were in great shape.
    I'm seriously thinking sm465 to go behind the 383 when ever I finally get time to get it built. I'd like to be able to burn all 4 wheels and only worry about shredding the tires, not the trans! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

TH 350 or 400 ,465
    RULES

12. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Mine bit the dust at 202,000 miles when I disintegrated the TC by flooring it too much... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif If I didn't, the tranny guy said the clutches were still in remarkable shape for the mileage. It's all about keeping these things cool and they'll last longer than people think... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif sorry to hear about that.. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

wow... when my 700 goes, you'll all be invited to the burrial. currently it's at 160,000 in my 1990 blazer. let's see how many more trial rides it can make with no cooler, 3.42's and 36" swampers /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif anyone care to make a bet?

15. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    At 171,000 original miles, the demise of the 700R4 was expected, just not convient. Looking into a new transmission from Phoenix Transmissions that will be built to handle more hp/tq that the 383 puts out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you have an aftermarket cooler for your tranny?

My 700R4 went out with 140,000 original miles, though it still had 1st and 2nd gears and probably 4th /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

[/ QUOTE ]
    Amen! Going anywhere in Texas would be considered an epic journey in many other places. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah thats why we have only made one trip to the Slab due to the 4hr drive, and that was with 33's and 1/2tons.

Probably just about the same distance to K-rocks or Trees Ranch /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

17. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

The Jimmy's trans and cooling system are stock, but since it came from the factory with a towing package it has an aux transmission cooler on it.

18. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

145,000 miles on mine. Got the BTO Stage 3 to replace it. You should consider them, if you haven't already. Awesome tranny. I am very pleased with this tranny, especially after driving the one that has been in my truck and dying for over two years. The new unit has been operational for about two (2) weeks now. Very firm shifts and full of heavy-duty components (Heavy duty parts in a 700 is like saying jumbo shrimp, just doesn't seem right) built to handle high HP ratings.

BTW, sorry to hear of your loss, my condolences. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lance

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Amen! Going anywhere in Texas would be considered an epic journey in many other places.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya about needing OD
    I coululn't live without my 700R4.
    A trip to the mall for me is just a easy days drive of 300 miles.We do that quite often.
    Last year I drove the K5 500+ miles in one day locked in 4x4 a lot of the time thru snow storms to pick up my wifes new car in Salt Lake City. Got back home in time to hit the DMV to get it registered. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I have 90K miles on my 700. Probabally half of it towing something. Seems like I am always dragging something around. Boats, travel trailers, wood hauling ect. still going strong. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif