Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A moment of silence........ She has done her duty!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Batmanjr, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Well, as many of you know, I have been driving on borrowed time this last year!

That time is now up... Last winter we had a week of deep freeze that normally doesn't happen in the great state of Texas! My absent mind forgot to put antifreeze in the 6.2L and it froze solid as an icecube for 3 days long! Well, when I went out and started it, it fired right up, toasted the belts, and began to defrost... Once I noticed what happened, I let it finish defrosting only to find that the water pump, radiator, and hoses just melted and nothing ever came of it, but all the water came rushing out of the side of the block right above the starter! The block cracked well for about an inch and then it was a hair line for about 6 inches... I drained the block, dropped the starter and cleaned the side of the block with a wire wheel and serface conditioner, then sprayed it down with brake cleaner and put two whole tubes of JB weld over the 7 inch crack! Well, It's now almost October........ The JB weld has held great!!!!! I knew I was going to have to replace it, but I was pushing it back till I really had too!!!!!!
    Today on the way up to Dallas, I blew a set of rings and toasted all the oil in the engine, in turn causing the engine to try and seize.... the funny thing is, the oil preasure never dropped and the coolent gauge never rose abrubly???? The truck died and when I got to the side of the road, there was no oil to be found! I put a gallon of oil in, with hopes of revitalizing her, after a few cranks, she fired back up, but showed her displeasure buy knocking back to me!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif So I drove her a 100ft to the rest stop and came back to her tonight! When I got there, she still knocked, fired right up!!!! Knew I was going to have to replace it anyways, so I drove her about 10 miles to turn her around on the freeway, and

BLAM!!!!!

Cracked the CRANK In Half!

The reason for this story one might ask..... Alot of people ask how reliable 6.2L and 6.5L are.... Her is my outlook on it....

I have taken these engines and drained the crank of all oil, drained the engine of all coolent, filled the engine with water, and then driven it till it boiled the water out of the fill hole.... Slamming it to full over speed, and then idle... Again and again and again!!!! Trying to destroy it on purpose!!!!! With no avail!

I have been able to start my 6.2 frozen solid as a chunk of ice!

I have ran them without oil for weeks!

I can start them with nothing more than fuel!

I can torture them with 10,000LB towing loads!

But I still got 359,590 Miles out of my 1983 6.2L Diesel!

AND like my fellow soldiers know, they will always take us into battle......
    .............. AND BRING US BACK OUT! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

as Taps plays in the back gound we here a BOOM BOOM BOOM ( 3 gun salute ) and shed a tear for its passing /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Then a faint voice in the distant crys out into the night
    WE CAN REBUILD WE HAVE The TECHNOLOGY /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Then a faint voice in the distant crys out into the night
    WE CAN REBUILD WE HAVE The TECHNOLOGY /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

<sniffle>

Time to get a new one in there!! Don't go the cummings route. Get a REAL engine!!!

6. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Its spelled Cummins, and anything inline 6 is as real as you get.

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok...lets finsih this right now. I want to know what K5 Blazers came STOCK from the factory with inline 6 CAT engines? Oh? None? Well, SHADDUP THEN!!!

Show me the Diesel engine that will take the abuse that we put them through, IN A REGULAR STYLE RIG..NO FRICKEN SEMIS...and show me how they live!! I don't see many CUMMINGS engines out on the trail? Or maybe show me how a 6.2 can suck up water from a lake and LIVE to tell the tale!! I don't see any of your rigs doing that? Point some of your rigs out, or maybe you should so us how yours holds up? Oh wait..YOU AIN'T GOT ONE!! GO HOME POSER!!!

Sorry for the thread hijack!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

<announcer voice> Now back to your regularly scheduled bitching!!! <end announcer voice>

8. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Ya'll need to get together and just bury the hatchet! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

To be very honest.....

I'm trying to find a Cummins for it, but that's because this is my MAll Cruiser! Not my Weekend warrior which has a 350TBI in it! For what it's used for, which is long trips, camping and going to work everyday, the fuel milage and life expectancy, along with the towing capabilities are what I want.... I do agree though, you don't see many Cummins on the trail! The truth is that until Money falls into my lap... I'm probably going to go the 6.5L NA with a 4Spd and 205.... Eventually I will install a custom twin turbo setup, and then maybe a NV4500..... By that time, my wife should be President and I should be able to afford a Cummins from all your campaign contributions! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. BlueBlazer

What the hell are you talking about! All I did was correct your spelling and say that inline sixes are REAL engines, no need to be a crybaby about it. And by the way, you talk like such a big man who knows everything when you are on CK5, but the funny thing is when you get out on the trails with us you're more like a little kid who doesn't have a clue what hes doing. Grow up man.

10. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

UM.... WOW.... here we go again!

Nick-

Shut your uneducated mouth! If you had a clue what you were talking about, I'd have given you some room to talk... Tyler could have hung you to dry on his own in that case! Now listen here you 40 year old living at home with your mommy, "I sucked lake water into my motor" moron... anyone ignorant enuf to come out here and challenge Tyler's knowledge of diesels (with your caliber of stupidity) is just 100% fawktard in my book.

BTW - Why don't you try to explain how your truck is so cool Nick? At least we don't need to worry about insects when you are around with the way your 6.2 smokes... Either of Tyler's rigs (even while currently being rebuilt) make yours look like a great scrapyard candidate.

Go home and cry to mommy you fool. [​IMG] NOW we can end the thread hi-jack! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

-Dan

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What the hell are you talking about! All I did was correct your spelling and say that inline sixes are REAL engines, no need to be a crybaby about it. And by the way, you talk like such a big man who knows everything when you are on CK5, but the funny thing is when you get out on the trails with us you're more like a little kid who doesn't have a clue what hes doing. Grow up man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well since I don't know either of you personally I will just say it straight:

My straight six is not a cummins but it's out there on the trails all the time, it's been in a muddy water pit up to the hood, it's been on it's side, it's run with almost no oil and a few times with too much oil, it's been abused by the prevous owner and now by me and so far it has yet to fail me.
    every thing else on the truck has failed me at least once but not that engine.
    By the way if you haven't checked my profile yet to find out what it is, it's a perkins turbo Diesel.
    And yes I also have another truck with the 6.2 and it has a bad crank because the previous owner used for towing a boat for 5 years without ever changing the oil.
    So I don't know how good it is, I don't think any engine can survive that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It still runs but knocks like hell.
    I believe all REAL diesels are good, each has it's pluses:
    the V8's have higher RPM's, the straight sixes have more torque at lower RPM's.
    I love my perkins but I want to get a 6.5TD and try it out, since I love the GM products and I believe it should be good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. BlueBlazer

Hey, I dont know if you saw this on another thread awhile back, but I posted a link with some info on your Perkins engine. It is actually considered a Cat product now since Cat bought Perkins. Its still in production in off highway applications. I can find the link again if you want.

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I remember you told me it's owned by CAT now but I don't recall a link.
    But I can find it thanks, I can do a search you don't have to do the work for me again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    You did it the first time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Shaddup you all. At least you all have diesels....

Would you rather be in my shoes, paying 1.90 a gallon for a gas guzzler getting 12mpg? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Or be you, getting 1.50 a gallon, and 22 mpg?

Yeah, So.. all of ya.. quit your yappin!

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

The only real diesel is an inline, no doubts about that. My dream is to get a 4bt cummins and drop that into my rig. Why waste time with a heavy piece of iron if it wont make power (6.2)? I'd say that the original poster got a break when that thing let go and now they can go get a real motor. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, got a break alright.... But I sure as hell didn't get it to crap $3000! I'm working on swinging a 6.5L in there, we'll see! It's going to be the most cost effective way to go! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

have you looked into the 4bt cummins motors? PM Tyler (the guy with the Cat avatar) and see what he says. He was talking $1500-$2000 complete with accessories, bellhousing, wiring, ect...

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    have you looked into the 4bt cummins motors? PM Tyler (the guy with the Cat avatar) and see what he says. He was talking $1500-$2000 complete with accessories, bellhousing, wiring, ect...

[/ QUOTE ]

For a 4bt?
    I thought the core alone was that much?
    I heard that the 6bt is easier and cheaper to get.
    There isn't enough 4bt cores around so the core is very expensive.
    At least it's what I heard.
    I would like to get a 4bt and put it in my Full size jeep Wagoneer.
    I was going to put a 6.2 in it but it's a little heavy for this one, with the soft spring and D44 axles.
    a 4 bt would make the best light weight wheeler out of it.
    The 6bt would be even more than a 6.2l

And guys, please stop these childish "my engine is better than your engine" and concentrate more on the knowledge /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

19. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Shhhhhh!
    I'm Thinking Free!
    But I didn't say that! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I was going to put a 6.2 in it but it's a little heavy for this one, with the soft spring and D44 axles.
    a 4 bt would make the best light weight wheeler out of it.
    The 6bt would be even more than a 6.2l

[/ QUOTE ]

After a few searches, the 4BT is ~800lbs, 6BT is ~1000lbs, and the 6.2L NA is ~700lbs. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.