Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A new 203 doubler question

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Mrtlc4x4, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Mrtlc4x4

Mrtlc4x4 Registered Member

It there a adapter to use the chev.203 low with a dodge 208?? and if so how makes it and how much?? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

I want to use the dodge208 so I have a fixed yoke

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

If you find around a 1980ish 205 it will be a 32 spline input and have a fixed yoke, plus it will be gear to gear. The 208 is a piece of junk transfer case.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have to disagree with you bud. Given the proper protection from rocks and keeping the fluid levels correct, the 208 is a good t-case. It offers a lower low range than the 205, which may be why he's looking at it.

Back to the question. I don't think anyone makes one of these. From the pro's perspective, the 205 is the only tcase, with the exception possibly of the Dana 300, that could handle the doubled amount of torque from the engine and tranny.

4. Mrtlc4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    I have to disagree with you bud. Given the proper protection from rocks and keeping the fluid levels correct, the 208 is a good t-case. It offers a lower low range than the 205, which may be why he's looking at it.

Back to the question. I don't think anyone makes one of these. From the pro's perspective, the 205 is the only tcase, with the exception possibly of the Dana 300, that could handle the doubled amount of torque from the engine and tranny.

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that a 208 has 2.6 to 1 is the exact reason that i'am looking at useing a 208.plus it's alot lighter.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i think a 208 is a 27 spline.

I know Dr. Watson can machine a doubler for all kinds of stuff. Even a few 203/Atlas II doublers out there. But IIRC, he says it's kinda pricey.

IMHO, why not do a 3.1:1 WMS 203 mated to a NP205 for your application if you want the 2.61:1 slectability?

6. Mrtlc4x4

Thanks to all for the input,I'am running a 208 now with sliper have plans to use dodge output and rear half of case,to get a fixed yoke.I have a couple of friends running this set-up already.I was just hoping there was a way to add more reduction.on a budget Ohwell it never hurts to ask!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

http://hometown.aol.com/mrtlc4x4/myhomepage/collection.html

7. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

T-400 208's are 32 spline but the dodge ones are 23 or 24 spline /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We've had a little interest in a 203/208 adapter and my only problem is selling something that I don't have total confidence in. It would have to be a different adapter than what we have, but it's pretty simple to do. After Easter I can look into it again to see what it would take, and look into what we can do to let a 205 interchange on the adapter later if you do have problems.
    You would definitely have to have a 32 spline 208 input gear but that's not a big deal, as mentioned, it's stock for a 400 version NP208.

9. BigOrange90Jimmy

If it doesn't work out, try a NP241 from an 89-91 K5. They have a low range of 2.72:1 IIRC and are SYE compatible.

10. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Do 89-91 subs have the 241 too?

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

They should, but only the old body styles will have the right one. The newer body styles have one, but the front output is on the driver's side.

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

MY 90 SUB HAS A 241....

13. Mrtlc4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    If it doesn't work out, try a NP241 from an 89-91 K5. They have a low range of 2.72:1 IIRC and are SYE compatible.

[/ QUOTE ]

where does one get the sye kit for a 241 and how pricy are they?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

14. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I bought mine from Jesse at www.highangledriveline.com and paid around $325.00 for it. Don't forget though that you will need to redo the driveshaft afterwards. The SYE kit shortens the T-case by about 6".

15. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Tony,
    I friend of mine (and a member of the board) took what you're talking about one step further. He took a Dodge 208 T-case and is in the process of swapping the input shaft from the GM 208 to use behind the 700R4. He also found that by using the front half of the Dodge case, it clocked the entire assy up to a nearly flat position.
    I have a theory that this will hold true as well to the Dodge 241, which also has a fixed yoke.

241 sye kits:
    http://www.highangledriveline.com
    http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/np241/index.html
    http://www.jeepbox.com/np231.htm

Jeepbox used to have the 241 kit listed and was the best price I've seen. Call them.

Stephen, are you suggesting that a doubler kit could be built with intentions of using a 208/241 but could later be swapped out with a 6-bolt (round pattern) NP205?? That could be interesting.

16. Mrtlc4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    Tony,
    I friend of mine (and a member of the board) took what you're talking about one step further. He took a Dodge 208 T-case and is in the process of swapping the input shaft from the GM 208 to use behind the 700R4. He also found that by using the front half of the Dodge case, it clocked the entire assy up to a nearly flat position.
    I have a theory that this will hold true as well to the Dodge 241, which also has a fixed yoke.

241 sye kits:
    http://www.highangledriveline.com
    http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/np241/index.html
    http://www.jeepbox.com/np231.htm

Jeepbox used to have the 241 kit listed and was the best price I've seen. Call them.

Stephen, are you suggesting that a doubler kit could be built with intentions of using a 208/241 but could later be swapped out with a 6-bolt (round pattern) NP205?? That could be interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

THANKS!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif for the Info and the thery,I will now be looking into that process too.Any idea on if there is much machining to instal the gm input into the dodge??
    Please keep me aprised of the progress on your buddys swap I will do the same if I make progress!!

Again BIG thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif to all for all the great feedback.

Tony

17. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I need to measure up a 208, I know it'll bolt to our current round pattern 205 adapter but I think the shaft configuration is different. It might require a spacer or different adapter.

18. Mrtlc4x4

I picked up so cores to day. a dodge 241 a chev 241 and a couple of 203s one for a th400 and one for a th350
    I starting to think that I can make the dodge out put owrk on the chev 241 so that fixes the yoke problem.
    Now i just have to start reading previous post and "learn myself up" the ins and outs of the 203 low range.
    I'am looking forward to hearing what you come up with.and even if you (ORD) decide not to go down the avenue of the 203/208or241 doubler.I will still have learned something new!!
    Thanks--->
    Tony /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif