Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A New Angle on an Old Twist......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmyjack, Jun 13, 2003.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Finally, I am an 8 luggin, mudda fuggin, 4 wheelin pain in wifes ass. I would like to throw a locker in the rear but I haven't got $300 that she will let me spend on myself (again). Anyway, I was considering welding the rear end together but don't want to wear the tread off my tires only months after I bought them. Sooooo, at 3 AM this morning I sat up in bed and thought " what if I remove one of the axles, fab an end cover and use it as my DD, then when I hit the trail, pop the end cover, slide the axle in, be locked, then when I'm done wheeling remove the axle and replace the cover so I have an "open" diff again?". Is this feasable? Am I gonna stress the carrier too much or will actually work????? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It's a great idea in thoery, but in practice you'll have torque steer like crazy from just the one rear wheel providing all the power. </font>

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Im definietly not one of the smartest people on here about those kinda things but if you take your axle out what are you going to bolt the wheel too? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I assume that it's a C14bFF, which is a full floater so the wheel bolts to the hub, not the axleshaft. </font>

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

What about the diff fluid, wouldn't it flow over into the axle tube and run the diff dry or run the risk of contaminating the fluid with dirt easier?

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Ooooops, yes it is a 14 bolt ff rear. Yes the fluid would run out but I would make a cover to prevent that. And it'd probably be a pain changing the axle in and out but the very word torque steer makes a little edgey. Wouldn't it be like an open diff? Or would it really push that much?

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The difference with an open diff is that if both tires have traction then they will both have power put to them. It's only when one has less traction that only one wheel spins. Hard to explain without pics, but trust me, it's very different. Yank a shaft and drive it around the block, you'll see what I mean... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

8. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

also ull burn up the bearing on the side ya take ur axle out of as the axle brings diff fluid to the bearings in the hub to luby lub em :;-)
    but mostly im with Shaggy on this 1 try it before ya buy it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Ok......
    Not as easy as pulling an axle shaft and putting a cover on.... But for all of us that spend a day tightening bolts and lubing their rigs a day prior to a wheeling trip anyways.... This would work... I think......

Some of us want a locker but can't afford it, but also don't want to have welded gears on the highway or in a DD..... What if you bough a spare set of spider gears, and welded the spider gears that mount on the crossshaft... (ONLY USABLE WITH 10 BOLT AND 12 BOLT!) Thus you could easily remove the stock spider gears and slide the welded gears in and run welded gears, than come home and put the stock gears back in..... It's alot of work, but cheaper than a locker!!!! But maybe if you threw this idea at the wife and explained how laboring it is and all.... She'll just give you the $300! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

If it were a 10 or 12 bolt, that might be half way feasable but.........14bff /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Really not a bad idea. I was thinking of stuff and it popped into my brain. I do OK wheelin' for now. She goes back to work in August. Thanks for the heads up guys.

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

old twist.
    i brought this up a while back, like 6 or 8 montsh.
    good idea. i have some shafts that are cut off( they were broken from the get go) and i use them as caps. i have yet to drive it, and it will be a while. but i grease my hub bearings a bit, and cornering will push lube down to the bearings keeping it all cool.
    give it a drive, let me know how it works.
    Grant