Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A New Car!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Oct 7, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Well as you all know we just had a new baby. Well on the way home from the hospital when my knees were in the dash we realized that the wife's car (a 2002 Mazda Protege 5) was not big enough for 3 people and the carseat. It is doable but not fun at all:o. So today we went and I just bought her a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer. This thing has everything but a sunroof and it rides like a damn car not a SUV at all. And to add some tech it has the 4.6 V8 making 240 HP and 282 lb-ft torque backed by a wide ratio 5 speed auto:D. I get the Protege 5 and I am selling my car cause the dealer was not going to give us anything for it:mad:. It was a little more than I wanted to spend but my wife has officially stepped up to Soccer Mom status:D. Just thought I would share and I will try and get pics in the AM.

Ira

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Should've kept the money in the family and bought a trailblazer/envoy.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Have no experience with them and she has had a mountaineer in her family since 1998 with no issues at all. We looked and researched several Mid size SUVs and the Mountaineer just seemed to fit all around what we where looking for. I know I was not big on going outside of GM either but this thing is PIMP:D.

Ira

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I'm very impressed with my wife's 06 trailblazer ext. Drove it a bunch last weekend. I just haven't beed impressed by the explorer/mountaineer last couple of years. Probably a great vehicle. Paw in law has an 00 expedition. great truck. Except it's a Ford. Had the wife look at GM's and Ford's when looking at trucks earlier this year. Interior was the decider. She liked the GM interior better. Bought a Traillblazer. I dislike the mod(triton) motors.

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya it is the wifes ride so technically she made the final decision. One thing about Trailblazers/Envoy they only have seating for 5 unless you get the EXT which adds to the cost. All Mountaineers after 01 have seating for 7 standard. The third seat aint huge but it is plenty for my daughter and a medium adult. I could get by back there for a short ride and I am 6'2" and 230:D.

Ira

6. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I just had twins, so konw what you mean. I went an got a 98 Expedidtion EB. I love it other than the name plate. Dual AC, Leather, seats 7 without effort, I feel like I'm rich but only paid 10k.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a friend with a Mountaineer. Great truck. Very comfortable on the highway and lots of room.

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya with the 5 speed auto it only turns about 1600 rpm at 75:D. And road noise is almost zero but then again I am used to my K5:haha:.

Ira

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Brand new? Or new to you? Congrats either way. You will like all the extra room in the back. I have no problem with Fords... I own a few of them too and they are just as good as anything GM (and actually better than any new GM).

I'm expecting twins, so I had to sell our lifted '96 Z71 and my '95 Mustang to buy a Suburban. I really miss the Mustang... oh well....

WE NEED PICS!!!

10. Congrats! Hope she enjoys it!

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

It is new to me it is a 2003 with 32K on it. I will get pics up this afternoon Florida and LSU are on :D.

Ira

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Here are pics as promised:D.
    Driversside.JPG

frontview.JPG

dash.JPG

stereo.JPG

Front.JPG

Ira

Driversside.JPG

frontview.JPG

dash.JPG

stereo.JPG

Front.JPG

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

More
    3rdseatup.JPG

3rdrowdown.JPG

2ndrow.JPG

It is loaded, has seating for 7 all leather, 6disc in dash changer, memory seat and pedals, heated seats, automatic climate control with dual air and rear air. The only thing it does not have is the Navigation system and the power moon roof. It even has homelink but I do not have a garage door opener:o.

This is what I am driving now. 2002 Protege 5 2.0L with 5 speed standard leather and all.
    Mazda.JPG

Mazda interior.JPG

Ira

3rdseatup.JPG

3rdrowdown.JPG

2ndrow.JPG

Mazda.JPG

Mazda interior.JPG

14. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ight where are the pics of the IFS/IRS flexing out? ;) lets see that hehe

15. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Looks good! I really like the color combo :thumb:

16. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

just a note, you said 03 mountaineer, is that the one with IRS?? if so, watch your rear hub bearings,if they start making noise get it fixed asap or it WILL cost you A LOT... i worked as a ford tech for 4 years and they are a very solid truck, good buy, but i bought the wife a trailblazer EXT and love it, then again im hardcore GM when it comes to trucks.... that 4.6 is a beast too, PLENTY of power...

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the info. We bought it certified pre-owned from Mercury and I am pretty sure they checked all of the service bulletins or recalls whatever they are. The IRS cameout in 02 so I will keep an eye on it.

Ira