Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a new Eaton Locker?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82K5_6.5L, Jan 31, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

hey everybody, i was just reading in a magazine about Eatons new ELocker..i havent really heard anything about it, but it sounds pretty good, with the push of a button u have a locking rear end..i have been lookin to get a locker in the rear of my blazer and just wanted to know if this would be any good? it is running about $600 bucks, i like it but am not sure...anybody heard anything about this? thanx /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Yes, very cool.

It has been discussed here a few times.

Unfortunately, they don't make them for a whole lot of axles yet.

Here is the application chart I got from Reider:

9.5" GM 14b SEMI FLOAT REAR 3.23+ 33 spline
    9.2" GM 8 LUG IFS 3.23+ 33 spline
    8.6" GM REAR 2.73+ 30 spline
    8.8" FORD FRONT & REAR ALL 28 spline
    8.8" FORD REAR ALL 31 spline

So we may have to wait awhile for the 14bFF.

Here is how Eaton decribes it:

Basically, when the system is engaged, friction between an armature and an electromagnet apply force to a "ball ramp" mechanism. This forces the ball ramp's bearings out of their pockets and up the ramp.

That action, in turn, pushes the system's locking pins into matching holes located on the back of the side gear. That locks the axle, and drives torque to both wheels.

Want to see it in action? Click Here.
    Want to see it work from the inside? Click Here.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not to take away from how cool that locker is, but the bit with the F150 looked a little "staged".

I'm not questioning it's abilities, but first they show the rear tire only (as far as I can tell, it's the only one smoking anyways) then the guy pushes a button, and the truck crawls up, with the front IMO *obviously* in 4wd. And they mention right at the beginning "both lockers", so what I'm thinking is that the truck is in 2wd trying to climb at first, then they go with 4wd and both axles locked.

I just thought it was kind of interesting, didn't really look like a test of 4wd carrier unlocked vs. 4wd carriers locked. I could be wrong though, what did everyone else think? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. One_Ton_k5

One_Ton_k5 1/2 ton status

Are those the ones that require that special diff cover with the electronic actuator thing hanging right out in the open?

If it is, I don't like it. Although it probably works great.

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

6. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

those lockers are built by a german company (you can get them from tibus offroad) and they have changed the design on them quite a bit so that theres no so many 'accident prone' spots on the cover.

Supposedly the locker itslef is supposed to be amazing. pluss, its very cheap /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Isn't the ELocker supose to be a LS when unlocked too? That might be the thing for a street driven truck in the snow. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Do they make them for the 12 bolt trucks?

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

no the LS is the Detroit Electrac, and call drivetrain direct to see if they make one for your 12 bolt or look on eaton's website.