Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A new front shackle idea?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pilgrim, Oct 29, 2002.

1. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

You see i need to pass inspection and with my new 38 sx's i'm about 2" over in the front. So rather then go with 4" springs instead the 6" ones i have now, to make up the diff. I thought of making a shackle for the front that would bolt flat to the frame and be a channel of sorts. The spring eye would have a bolt through it and would side back and forth in the channel. Now i know i would have to design it to side well and also not wear out, but that aside do you think this design could have some merit? Maybe some plus's besides my ride height could be that the truck won't sway as much cause the springs are held better. Well it's just a thought maybe someone could help me finish it. thanks.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

hmmm good idea but i think that making the bolts last would be the hardest part.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Circle track racers have been doing that on their rear springs for years to keep the ride height steady. I met Willie Worthy, the tech writer for Four Wheeler magazine, on a 4WD trip a couple of years ago. He had that exact setup on the front of his Jeep. He told me that he was planning to change it though as it doesn't allow for much axle droop at all. His setup used some custom made pieces of Delrin for the sliding part. You might be able to contact Willie via their website at www.fourwheeler.com and get some details. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

the way i read it, your going to make the back of the front spring closer to the frame and do away with the shackles. right? that would probobly only give an inch less lift, that is if you even move the rear of the spring two inches. and the steering trajectory would be way off. the pads would have to be rewelded, and the top of the diff that the spring bolts to would have to be shimmed to compensate. the drive shaft angle would be better. course, this is all if i read it right /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.
    wouldnt it be easier to get a set of "inspection tires" thats whati do here. and driving around with 31"s and 4.56 gears is neat for about a week /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

5. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

Yeah you make a good point about keeping the bolts from wearing out. Maybe i could allow the top of the spring to rub on like you said a delron pad, and keep the bolt like an 1/8" away from the top of the channel.

My shackles are 5" center to center, so if i raise the spring eye to the frame say like 3 1/2". That would lower the front by what, an 1". Shoot i knew it was to good to be true, i was more thinking of the idea and i had not gone outside to measure stuff up. Well i still might give it whirl, i don't know.

I guess 4" front springs are the only way to go.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Just get a huge custom winch bumper and a new winch. That should take it down an inch or two. Swap in a big block, too. Or put ratchet straps around the frame rails and springs and just sinch it down. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif (just don't drive it)

No, seriously, if you can take the time, pull a leaf or two out of your front packs before the inspection and then put em back in later. You might need shorter center bolts, though.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I still think TRQDSR ahs the best solution with the smaller size tires for inspection, I am sure you can find a friend that will let you borrow them for inspection.
    If not try and deflate the tires a little you should be able to loose a couple of inches on a 38, just do it right outside the test facility and then air back up after you leave. It will be like a real off road trip. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif