Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A new not so good noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Apr 3, 2001.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Any Auburn diff people out here? Last July my rear diff made some horrible crunching grindind noises. We took the whole thing apart and basically found nothing wrong with it. Put it back together and all has been well til recently. It's quiet but I get some extraciricular weirdness. From a dead stop I get a shudder/ vibration once in awhile. Sometimes its normal. Other times I can feel the truck begin to move( I step on the gas, the revs come up) and suddenly I get a snap from the driveline and off I go. Nothing violent or hard..... just a soft feeling. I was hoping some new posi lube to clean up the clutches. The unit is about 5 yrs old but never abused. Any ideas? (I definately feel it in the rear end and the u joint is tight)

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

2. hmmm... i cant say for sure, but if you are at a dead stop, you gas it, your engine revs, and nothing happeans at first. then a clunk, and off you go.... may not be in the rear end (my conclusion, definitely may not be correct), or, oneaxleshaft is not receiving torque, and the clunk is when the other does..... doesen't make sense! ouch....

greg

3. Mikee

Mikee 1/2 ton status

Could just be clutch chatter from the posi. Usually caused by using the wrong oil/additives. In any case doesn't sound good. There should not be a variance unless something is slipping or loose. Better check it before it's too late.

"Got stuck once, hung up on top of a Jeep!"

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

A positraction unit should not be able to prevent the torque from goin to either wheel, only to bias it a little differently than it would with an open diff. If the engine is going and you're not moving, that may be the transmission not engaging the forward clutch properly. Check fluid level first.

Or... something may be physically restricting movement of the ring and pinion. Your torque converter lets the engine rev a little, but you can't move until that binding stops and then off you go. You should be able to see that with the diff cover off, though.

<font color=green>Stupid tourist at Mammoth Cave, Kentucky: "How many miles of unexplored passages are there?"</font color=green>

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Are you 100% sure it is the rear diff? Has someone looked under there while you hit the gas(beside and away from the vehicle and not under it like in Petersen's)....??

<font color=green><A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A></font color=green>[​IMG]

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I would think maybe it's your tranny. Just my .02

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Definately not the tranny. I just had it rebuilt in June. I can feel and hear it coming from the rear end. I went to the diff shop today where I had it installed and was told the Auburn is a clutchless "throwaway" diff. Basically last about 60,000 miles. I've had this one for about 9 years. Going to get some more opinions on this. The guy told me it won't leave me stranded. it'll just eventually make more and more noise and have the same symptoms. Dunno, I'll keep you all posted.

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim