Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a new part to play with

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rdn2blazer, Sep 22, 2005.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

this part is thirteen thousand dollers to make, we are repairing it for fifty five hundred dollers. look at the little itty bitty spot of corosion inside the bore. that caused this part to be pulled from service. it might be a little hard to see, and i put a business card next to it for scale comparesion. its some kind of aircraft part. i have to machine the diameter that has the corrosion over size then we will spray it up and i will machine it back to blueprint tollerances.

DSCN0234.JPG

DSCN0235.JPG

DSCN0236.JPG

DSCN0310.JPG

DSCN0311.JPG

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Is it the thing that keeps the front wheel straight? :D

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Looks like a landing gear part; maybe a shock strut end, or a dragstrut end.
    Any idea what kind of aircraft it's for?

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure what it's called exactly, but it looks like the equivalent to a tie rod end from a DC10 or something of similar size

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Thats what I was thinking :haha:

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

its not aircraft part. just his new hydro arm end for the play toy.:D

7. rdn2blazer

i will ask my boss what its for and get back to ya.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nice fixture! :bow:

Rene

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

WOW, and people will die if its not right.and i wonder why stuff costs so much. :laugh: :laugh: at least you have a cool job. :D

10. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

So I have a dumb question...when you need to fix something like that do you machine your own fixtures or do you have a stock of them on hand that you try and put to use first?

11. rdn2blazer

planes crashing and people dying start from the most minor defects just like this. that statement sounds all serious, but its true. a small defect can turn into a catastrophic event that brings down a plane. i can tell you i have alot of pride in what i do and i know the responsibility i have with a part like this. in a crash investigation, a part that fails and is found and inspected and traced for its repair records and is deemed the cause of the crash. that part, if it was a part that i worked on, could be directly traced right back to me! i have official FAA certification as a aircraft repair machinist. so i am on record and all the parts are documented that i work on. most machinist in the trade do not have this certification.

12. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

As an amateur backyard garage machinist I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really Think you should post more pictures of the parts you get to fix at work for my viewing pleasure. :D

13. rdn2blazer

we have tooling we use for repeat jobs that are numbered for traceibility. then in the case of this part i had to make the tooling since this is the first time we have seen this part before. this part is suposed to be a one time only repair. i will save this tooling for atleast 2 yrs just in case we get another part.

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Thank You!

I've said for a long time, that the best aircraft mechanics are perfectionists. The details kill people in this business; it's rare anymore for a grossly obvious defect to bring a plane down.

15. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

looks like the scratch is right where i need to put that oil seal to keep the oil from leaking by. Fix it right the first time cause if i have to take it apart agian or them fine threads seize up while we are putting it back together I will be calling you all kinds of dirty names. I am sure you understand and would like the repeat business.

good luck when it comes to machining i must of went to ccee. That collage of close enough engineering.

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Well said rdn. All that and it will most likely still be painted yellow before it it is reinstalled.

Anyone remember what happened w/ the DC-10 when a forklift was used to mount an eng assy instead of the mfgs tooling?

It is not a game.

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yep. Not following the mfgr's maintenance instructions, too. I expect to see something about that very incident in the next 5 weeks, during my Turbines and APU's class at school.