Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A new truggy is born...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Not to bad for a days work..

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

Looks awesome man /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I knew something big was up yesterday when you said guess whats next /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

Nate

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

holy /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gifsmokes /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

SWEET, if I hadn't just replaced all my floors I would have done that!
    Still thinking about about narrowing the front...

Looks cool /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That thing looks sweet /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Got one question for all that have done this cause I don't know. What is the purpose of narrowing the body when the axles are still the same width?

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I still want to see someone cut it down the middle and section 6" to 1' out of the thing and weld it back together /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Got one question for all that have done this cause I don't know. What is the purpose of narrowing the body when the axles are still the same width?

[/ QUOTE ]

Many places you go, you'll bash the snot out of your sheetmetal where a tire can easily bounce off the object, especially when the object is a tree.

Also, the areas behind the rear tires and in front of the front tires can easily take a beating while maneuvering around an object, which is eliminated when the body is narrowed.

Jeeps with full width axles are an outstanding example of seeing this in action on a rig other than a fullsize that has been throughly /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

8. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That thing looks sweet /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Coolness factor /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

A bit more narrow at the tail end than my tastes allow, but cool. Just promise me you'll align the panels so they are parallel.

Are you going to try and smooth out the crease?

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

looks great /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ehh, not to sound rude but, w/e floats ur boat i suppose! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif i just hate seeing nice blazers like that getting demolished /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

12. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

did you cut it, set it at the angle then weld it? or just bend it?

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How much did you narrow it on each side? Looks awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I still want to see someone cut it down the middle and section 6" to 1' out of the thing and weld it back together /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Be carefull what you wish for Dan, this is something I have wanted to do for a while. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Looking good Joe, but your never going to finish it if you keep starting new projects. Hmmm, maybe I should read that myself a few times. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Oh, FWIW, I wouldn't call that a truggy. Boat-tailed K5 seems more accurate to me, same as Sandman and some others. Too much body structure left for a truggy in my book.

16. Zeus33rd

As it is in the picture, I just cut down to the body line and bent the rest in to get an idea of what it would look like. Very very rough. I ran out of daylight last night. I will smooth out the crease/bend area and make it look nice. Thats alittle too butch for my tastes. It probably won't end up being quite that narrow when it's finished. I just needed somewhere to prop the sides for the pictures. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Did anyone notice that I cut the frame off behind the spring hangers as well? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Russ, you have a point about never finishing it....But mostly cause I keep spending my truck money on Amber, hehe, new gf. And computer/camera stuff. Gotta get my priorities straight! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Oh yeah...Only called it a Truggy cause I was trying to think of a catchy post title. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Boat tailed K5 sounds alot better. Also, keep in mind that it's not even close to being finished. There most likely will be very little if any sheetmetal on the front. Probably something similar to your rig up front. All tube with a cut and narrowed hood bolted on top. AKA Wally. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif Gotta build the cage and stuff too. Yesterdays work was the biggest step I've taken in building this thing yet. The biggest hurdle coming up is the motor. Probably need $1k in parts and machine work to get it finsihed. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Atleast this time it will be done right. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

ahhhhh

you sir have been discoverd /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

shackle flip that biatch and ditch those blocks /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

ohh yea..your a hell of a hack /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    and boatside it already /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-shawn /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

18. Zeus33rd

I have a Springer/AK-57 set up to install. The blocks are definatley going. I wondered how long till someone noticed that. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Boatsiding..I was kicking that idea around too. It would be ALOT of work for me though...I cut everything off below the door and rebuilt/fabbed the rockers out of 2x2 tube and 1/8 plate. Might just leave it that way. Who knows.

[ QUOTE ]
    ohh yea..your a hell of a hack

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, duinno if I should take that as a compliment or... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

19. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

For the front, have you seen Ken's rig lately? It lookds goooood.

[​IMG]

I'm trying to find the better pics from the Hammers trip but I'm not having any luck /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

20. Zeus33rd

Whoa... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Need more pics of that! That is bad ass! Pretty much what I had planned. Very nice work there. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Anyways, didn't get much done today. Added a new crossmember to replace the one that got trimmed off. As well as a couple tow points.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My stupid ass wasn't wearing my cutting goggles while using the plasma cutter yesterday. I woke up last night in so much pain I wanted to shoot myself. Wasn't real motivated to get any more done today. Worse part about the arc flash thing...I know better. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif