Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a new user, my new truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Aug 21, 2001.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I'll start out by saying I'm 16. My parents have a 1980 GMC Jimmy 4x4. I love this truck and to make a long story short it's going to be mine! I will be fixing it up, adding stereo, etc. I need some advice/guidance which is why I am here.

It probably needs a transmission/transfer case because it doesn't shift right any more (2nd to 3rd) It use to throw u back in the seat when it shifted to third before we had the tranny rebuilt, now it takes forever for it to shift so I'm guessing they did a piss poor job (he said he put a shift kit and good torque converter in it). Also when we put it in 4WD we here a clunking noise, we're not sure if it's the trasfer case or the joints or both? I'm prob going to replace both so what does it have and what should I replace them with? A TH350 orTH400 and NP 205? I have more q's but I'll post em in a bit. thanks for your hwlp.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

1980 was a 'tweener' year, they didn't have the 208 ready for production yet and had discontinued the 203 so all 1980 models got the 205...but they all had slip yokes too.

I'm guessing it has the TH 350.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Find out what you have now, and use the same parts to replace bad parts. Otherwise you will be looking at driveshafts + U-Joints, maybe the cross member, not to mention having to possibly cut a larger hole in the floor for the xfer case shifter lever... just to name a few![​IMG]

Congrats on your new vehicle... be nice to it...

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s
    <a target="_blank" href=http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm>http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm</a> [​IMG]

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

hey nice to know that me and my friend adam aren't the only teenagers in here. i'm 17 and he's 16. are you sure the prob isn't vacuum? that happened to my friend and he replaced the lines and his tranny is fine now.

i'm in the same situation, it's my mom and dad's truck but it will be mine soon.

scott,
    1989 suburban 3/4t 4" lift soon to be rollin on 33s, tbi350

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

On that note, I would prob. also suggest to have a trans shop so a fluid/filter/gasket change, before I jumped off the deep end and just bought a new trans and transfer case.

BUT - If you need a new TH350 NP205, I have one for sale for $125, $175 with adaptor, HELL I will throw in the cross member and energy susp. poly-urethane bushings for another $50 too. PM me if you are interested.

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s
    <a target="_blank" href=http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm>http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm</a> [​IMG]

6. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Hey muddysub Im with ya Im 15 [​IMG]

1977 K5 Blazer [​IMG]

7. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I think I'll take it to a transmission shop and have them go through it. The driveshaft needs to be balanced anyway. I'll stick with the same parts, th350 and np205 if I switch em out.I'm going to lift it too, I'm thinking about a 3" lift. The leaf springs are 21 years old so I figure I might as well get bigger leaf springs to raise it instead of blocks. Do they make bigger leaf spring kits, or will i need to get blocks? Good to know there's teens in this forum too, i'm not alone lol. Oh yea, how hard is it to replace the front fenders, those are rusted a bit up front. I'll charish the jimmy, it's awesome (to me anyway) and it's gonna cost me $139 a month for insurance (i think that's cheap for a teen with a 4x4 v8)