Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a newbie question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dammit32, Aug 26, 2002.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

whats a divorced transmission? i see this alot in the stuff i read about doublers and have no clue what they are referring to /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

You mean a divorced transfer case. Just means the transfer case isn't directly bolted to the tranny. It is instead seperate and connected by a driveshaft.

3. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

if you just have a curious question, as all newbies do, like 15 a day, id try search at the top, itll show you all posts on that topic /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

There are also divorced transmissions where the motor and the tranny are at different ends of the vehicle connected by the driveshaft, like the porsche 924 but uncommon in trucks outside of custom creations.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

C5 Vett has a Divorced Tranny. GM also built a couple cars in the early 60's that the tranny was in the rear so they could have a lower floor. I think it was a Pontiac. Had independent rear suspension also. I think that was the car that had the "rubber band" drive shaft. When the car was just sitting the drive shaft drooped down but once under torque it pulled back in line.