Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A Picture to give Timmay a Heart Attack

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by jac6695, Jul 14, 2004.

1. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Don't worry, Timmay, these trucks are in Colorado and you should feel safe to drive the streets of Illinois. Yes, those are 4, count 'em 4, vehicles on each of those trailers, including 2 pickup trucks /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif. And they are traveling together. 2X the disaster oppurtunity in one spot. I am shocked they were able to get them stopped to park in that lot and get into Taco Bell. Terrible....... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[​IMG]

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'm calling BS on that! Any jackass knows you can't possibly tow TWO vehicles with ONE pickup! And for sure you can't have FOUR!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif There's definatly some photo choppin goin on in that pic.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    some photo choppin goin on in that pic

[/ QUOTE ]

Ni Sir, I don't even know how to chop pictures (I stick to choppin' wood). I took the pic myself between my beef and potatoe 1/2 pound burrito and the steak quesadilla.

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hrm, I may be wrong and you guys may be posting this as a joke but just in case it's not I'll throw in my opinion...

I don't see a problem. Those trailers are commonly rated at 21k pounds and some up to 30k pounds... Most of the larger ones run air over hydraulic or straight air brakes and the dodge's are equipped to hook up. Plus they are class A rated so the drivers are trained for a class a license.

6. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hrm, I may be wrong and you guys may be posting this as a joke but just in case it's not I'll throw in my opinion...

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the origin

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

are those one ton pickups? If they are, arent dodge 3500's only designed to hangle 15-16k? (I dont doubt they could handle more, but just as a stamping).

Are you then allowed to tow more just cause the trailer is designed differently, and you have a different license?

Does this mean a ford ranger could tow the same thing, given the corect trailer and drivers license?

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't see a problem. Those trailers are commonly rated at 21k pounds and some up to 30k pounds... Most of the larger ones run air over hydraulic or straight air brakes and the dodge's are equipped to hook up. Plus they are class A rated so the drivers are trained for a class a license.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the tow rig?

As to them being in Colorado, I see them on the highway every time I travel on it.....rigs like that are everywhere. That doesn't make it right.

9. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

Not to make a stand either way, but why do you think truck companys such as Ford Chevy and Dodge put the GVWR/GCWR ratings that they do on their trucks? Warranty purposes. Granted that safety, reliability and other factors come into play, safety being the most important, I wont deny that. However, these companys dont want to be paying money out everyday to people that use 1/2 ton trucks to tow too much weight. Even 3/4 or 1 tons. I have a 1997 F150 4x4 XCab with the 4.6 V8 and a 5spd. 115000 miles on it, and well out of warranty, I just finished towing 12000 GCW over 1200 miles without a single problem. Original clutch, and everything else in the truck aside from brakes is original as well. So tell me Tim, would you be nervous seeing me driving with that setup at 65? Cause the DOT boys in several states sure werent. Ratings are there with specific loads in mind, but $$$ into warranties is a big issue as to why they put those ratings on there.

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Are you implying that TIMMAY the parts monkey wouldn't know towing if it bit him in the ass? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Some how I think this is one of the few ways that Tim would be comfortable seeing 4 cars hauled.

[​IMG]

However I fail to see how two axles (three with the rarely used tag) is safer than a properly equipped dually towing a tri axle trailer. The dually has much more braking potential and less weight per axle/tire than my old transport. And most of the time those are far from stock dually's. Most of the ones' I've seen have HD frames and suspensions and brakes, but with the bed most folks just assume it's a stock 1 ton.

That being said, I'm more comfortable seeing the heavier rigs pulling those trailers than even the HD 1 tons even if they are built up.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Are you serious?

Look at the frame, axles, and the 19.5" wheels and tires that truck has. That is why it has a higher load capacity, not because it has more axles or whatever you may think.

A pickup on 16" tires and wheels cannot be compared to something like you've got pictured above with HUGE axles and wheel bearings, springs or air ride, an 8" tall heat treated frame, etc, and you'd be a fool to even think of comparing such a truck to a pickup.

There is no question that a pickup is capable of pulling FAR heavier loads than it is rated for, but that doesn't mean it is safe, or right.

Manufacturers test to see that their vehicle can safely tow their rated load under even the worst operating conditions. That is why the limit on paper is much lower than the point at which it will no longer pull anything else. There has to be a safety factor in there....but I see no point in pushing it to the limit either way.

Yeah, I know nothing about towing at all....that's why I always check my rig, I have the proper hitch, tires, trailer with brakes, tiedowns, etc. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I just look at it as doing the job the right way.

As to the above vehicles being DOT legal, great, but I'd love to be the lawyer on the plaintiff's side when you get involved in an accident and although you're plated for 30k lbs your vehicle's GCWR is 17000-20000. I'd love to see a judge make a field day out of someone that would overload a truck by 30-40% and insist that it is safe because it has a certain license plate or the driver has a Class A license. You'd be a fool to think that makes such action safe in my opinion.

You guys might think I go overboard, but I wish more people on the road would pay attention to ratings. One day, it will all come back to bite us when the lawmakers realize what people are doing. If nothing else it'll be another potential for income for the government, and they'll write people HUGE tickets just because they can.

IMO, a truck should not be overloaded under any circumstances, and any arguement to the contrary is foolish.

13. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

So when a driver of a class 8 truck pulls over 80,000, he is foolish?

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    So when a driver of a class 8 truck pulls over 80,000, he is foolish?

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to think that it is a cut and dry thing. if 80,000 is the limit, is 80,001 foolish? Probably not. Is 120,000 foolish? I think so. Some of these guys are overloading these trucks by 50% or more, and that sir, is plain scary, no matter what class of truck it is.

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

So I guess you don't want any kind of construction done quickly. Since the bigger and more capable the machine is, the more it weighs, I guess we'll have to outlaw all types of construction equipment that will hit the road at more than 80Klbs. Trailered or self-propelled.
    I guess highway overpasses and bridges are DONE being built with precast concrete beams, too, since they'll most likely push a truck over 80K. No more steel beam bridges either; same deal. Oh, wait, it doesn't matter. The crane to lift them will be more than 80K...
    No more large textile plants for American-made clothing, either; the fabric drying drums weigh 450,000lbs and can no longer be trucked from their port of entry. Doesn't matter that there's more braked axles on the trailer alone (much less the three tri-axle Peterbilt tractors pulling/pushing it...) than you can count on ALL your appendages, it's over 80K!

Come on, give it up. You've made your point that YOU think it's unsafe to tow over the max GVW. Others have made their points that it can be done SAFELY AND LEGALLY, as governed by the DOT, and probably the FHWA as well.

16. BlueBlazer

Well, I guess I should be out of a job then because lots of Cat's business causes them to have to ship things on a daily basis that put a truck well over 80,000 lbs. You really need to wise up on this deal Tim. You are NOT the all knowing towing master you think you are.

17. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd love to be the lawyer on the plaintiff's side when you get involved in an accident and although you're plated for 30k lbs your vehicle's GCWR is 17000-20000. I'd love to see a judge make a field day out of someone that would overload a truck by 30-40% and insist that it is safe because it has a certain license plate or the driver has a Class A license. You'd be a fool to think that makes such action safe in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think some of these guys have been involved in wrecks before? I'm sure lawsuits have been brought against them, and some of them have even been won. But I don't see that they have a leg to stand on if the truck was properly modified, replated, and the driver was licensed and obeying traffic laws. Me personally, I would drive that setup.

There are factors of safety built into the ratings, now I don't know what the manufacturer's factor of safety is, but I would guess even doubling the weight is not on the very limits of the truck, as long as the trailer had the proper brakes, etc..

18. BlueBlazer

[ QUOTE ]
    Manufacturers test to see that their vehicle can safely tow their rated load under even the worst operating conditions. That is why the limit on paper is much lower than the point at which it will no longer pull anything else. There has to be a safety factor in there....but I see no point in pushing it to the limit either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

How the [darn] do you know this is what they do? How do you know that the number isn't much lower than what the truck is capable of for warranty purposes like Jason said? Obviously the more you tow the faster the truck will wear out and the more parts will need replaced under warranty. I think the number they give for GCWR is simply what they have determined the truck can tow without causing any more wear and tear than a truck that never tows or tows very little. You must have connections with engineers at all the truck manufacturers with all the insight you have/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

19. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I believe my truck has a tow rating of just over 13000 pounds. Most 5th wheel travel trailers over 32-35 feet long are around 14-15,000 pounds. So all these 10's of thousands of 5th wheels being pulled around by 1 ton chevy's, dodges, and fords are all illegal and unsafe? I must be unsafe as well, when I load my trail truck on my trailer and tow it I'm at 14,500 pounds, I better sell my junk now and by something lighter /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Oh, and with my trailer brakes, I have the controller set on level 3 of 10 with my truck on there. I would not even think twice of pulling double the weight I pull now.

20. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Even more madness! Make it stop!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe se should start thinking about one of these as a tow rig???? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif [​IMG]