Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A question about police dogs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by stoney126, Apr 11, 2007.

1. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

Hey all , I was wondering today about bullet proof vests for dogs. Do they help at all? Are they a hinderance to the dog and or owner/handler?
    If they are a positive why dont more dogs have them?

I Have been thinking of asking some of the local cops their opinion on the matter.

2. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

I have seen them used before but not too often. In the case of Border Patrol K9's it isn't practical for the type of work we do.

Those things are heavy for a 200lb man, imagine how it would wear out a 80-100lb dog.

3. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Here is a picture of Pal without his vest on. My Chief dared me to do it so when Jeremy let Pal hit me he was on a short leash of about 15'. If he he would have released him and Pal would have hit me at full speed he would have leveled me.

Pal&me.JPG

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i think most K9 coppers don't have them because of the cost. Custom doggie armor ain't cheap. Also, the number of police dogs that get shot is probably a VERY small number. I mean, if some punk whips out a gun when police are there... the dude is gonna get gunned down, whether he's aiming in on the dog or a homosapien.

j

5. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

I was thinking fundraiser for the local police department and sheriff department. I know the number of them getting shot is small, but It would nice to have an option.

6. jekbrown

don't get me wrong, I think it'd be coolio if all K9 cops were armored. Those are hella good dogs who do a lot of good. Some bad guys will tangle with cops... but once the dog is brought out they don't want any part of that. Great deterant.

Guy robbed a bank up north somewhere (seattle?) and had a plan to evade cops by diving into a large body of water (the sound?) and swimming away with SCUBA gear. Only problem was the police responded faster than he thought they would and in his hurry to get from his get-away car to the water, he forgot some vital piece of his breathing aparatus. At any rate, the guy floated offshore for a while refusing to come in to be arrested by cops waiting on shore. A short while later, a K9 unit showed up... and the dog started to swim out to get the guy. Dog made it about 10' from the shore when the guy started screaming "ok, I'll come in! just call off the dog!!!!!!". :thumb:

I love it when they deploy the dog in Cops. :)

j

7. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

I would be laughing my butt of watching that dog go out in the ocean. I love watching that on cops too. My poor wife closes her eyes until they catch the guy, she is afraid for the poor dog :p:

8. jekbrown

lol! those dogs can definitely take care of themselves. Its amazing how well trained they are... when they see a perp you can just tell they wanna kick his ass... but if his partner calls him off, the dog does so instantly. Pretty cool stuff.

j

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

But most police dogs are more warped than their handlers:D

10. BlazerBud

BlazerBud 1/2 ton status

Basically, the dog vest should be cheaper than the dog, each dog has had many thousands of dollars worth of money invested in his training. They should all get vests that cover at least the heart area so mobility is still good, and 45 caliber side-arms with hollow points and grips to fit their paws.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Just the other day, I was expounding on the virtues of possessing a tiger that would replace dogs. All it would take would be one perp to run, the tiger "apprehending" said perp, and posting the video on YouTube.:D

12. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

I can see it now as Bubba fills out the report. Results are are one partly eaten perp because he had spaghetti on his shirt. :haha:
    George

13. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

would kill two birds with one stone, Less population in prison's and the tiger gets fed:D

14. jekbrown

one thing is for sure... if some guy was fighting with cops and the "Tiger Unit" showed up... the fight would be over... instant surrender. lol!

j

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Yeah, but there has to be "one" as an example for future folks:D

16. BlazerBud

BlazerBud 1/2 ton status

They could take those trained grizzly bears and use those. I think his name was Bart, Bears could just break down walls and get anyone. Or they could chew through a car sheet metal and to get someone.

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

They are too slow. :D

18. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You ever seen a bear run? You'd be surprised...big ****ers can move.

19. jekbrown

some animals are definitely surprising. Can't a alligator outrun a horse for the first 50'-60' or something? What scares me about meeting a big bear in the woods is that a bear can run faster through brush than I can run through a clearing. Not good. This is an animal that can catch a fish with its mouth... break your neck with one swipe... and outrun you also. Doh!

j

20. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

bears are awesome:D