Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A Question About Seatbelts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Jul 17, 2001.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

This has probably been asked before but I could't find it using the search. Will seatbelts from a '91 K5 fit in my 84. They don't have to look the same just fit and work right. The local dealer can only get belts for a 91. They're a little pricey($130ea) but you can't beat GM quality and these could save my life, so that justifies the cost and I don't want to get the runaround others on this board have gotten from Salesco and JCW. Thanks

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>Click here to see my K5</a>
    *<font color=red>under construction</font color=red>*

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Anybody?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>Click here to see my K5</a>

3. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

The front seatbelts should be the same, but the rear belts will have a shoulder belt that has a "quick disconnect" to the removable top. In order to use these, you would have to have a top from an 89-91 (not positive about years, but something like that!). I hope that helps. Just my .02, but i would try to find a set of nice used ones for ALOT cheaper. I'd check the salvage yards. Just make sure to check the belts for tears or cuts, and that the "ratchet" works properly.

baldbandit

"Have you driven over a F@RD lately!!

4. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

You can use the belts from the earlier years like you mention. You can even swap sides if you have to, the only difference there is on the later trucks that have the retractor button, you will have to cut it off. I only enables the belts to retract when you open the doors, instead of when you give it a tug. They will still work otherwise the same. I had to do this to my '89 cause a blue drivers side is no longer available from GM. So i used a pass. side one.

Very dusty and dirty K5 sitting in my driveway!!!

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah I used a set of 79 belts in my 75 (mounted off the roll cage). I had replaced them because that stupidpluger broke. Took the pluger off and it fixed that anyoying lean foward and the belt gets slack in it issue that always hacks me off. The locking mechanisim works fine without out it. It has two locking devices. On is enersia and one is a pendulum that if the truck makes a sudden change in dirrection or suden deceleration it locks it down. Now I'm thinking about ripping that plunger off the 79. My kids are always squiming around and getting slack in the belt and the belt won't save their lifes if it doesn't stay tight.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>

Grim-Reaper

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I don't have a back seat so if the fronts fit that'll be great