Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A question for all police officers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dysphemism, Sep 4, 2003.

1. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

Is there any trick to getting off of a ticket that actually works? I've heard sometimes you can tell a cop a joke. I know you guys aren't all universally the same, but what gets you guys to let people slide in general?

2. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Believe it or not I was driving home one day after work, stopped by the local Krispy Kreme and picked up a couple of dozen doughnuts for the kids. Driving back I got pulled over for not wearing seat belt, after the cop eyed the doughnuts I offered, he took a couple and let me go. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've always treated each cop that pulled me over the same. They say that the cop has already made up their mind before hand, don't know how much of that is true. I just know that there's a reason I'm getting pulled over and if they ask if I know why, it's simple. I think I've got a higher percentage of warnings than I do tickets, so maybe that's the secret.

But I can tell ya if you get pulled over near Hawthorne, NV by NHP, don't ask for their supervisor's name and number and tell them you're filing a complaint on their rudea**............. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yelling at them for pulling me over when I was doing absolutly nothing wrong has always worked for me, I also like to leave my proof of ins. ,lic. , and reg. at home, I just loved the look on their face when they ask and I say nope don't have it, now piss off, OK I didn't say piss off but he got the point, ya gotta let em know who's in charge... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gifTrust me...

disclaimer: everything in this story is true but the piss off part, I'd never say that to a cop........ /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

well... if you don't do anything that gets their attention, you won't have to worry about it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

start by showing them the respect of stopping in a safe area to do so, such as turning off of a major roadway or pulling into a parking lot. open up your windows if they are tinted. turn on your dome light at night. repeating their name back to them helps. here in city limits they have to identify themselves immediately in a non threatening situation. ask them how their day, or night, is going. sounds corny, but if you're sincere, it really helps. never say 'what seems to be the problem?', most officers hate that line. don't argue, don't lie and when its all said and done, whether or not you got a ticket, thank them for keeping your streets safe.

6. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I know you guys aren't all universally the same, but what gets you guys to let people slide in general?

[/ QUOTE ]

I REWARD HONESTY AND CREATIVITY. If you admit that you were speeding, etc and give me the reason (legitimate or creative)........more often than not, I will give you a break.

DO NOT ASK FOR A WARNING/BREAK......................If I feel obligated or pressured to give you a break, I won't /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

Make legitimate, honest small talk with me BEFORE I walk back to my car. Once I am walking to my car, I have already decided to ticket you or not................. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I haven't been pulled over in ten years. The last time I was doing 50 in a 40. Caught by radar and was behind another vehicle who also got pulled over. Two motorcycle cops in the same location. They were nice enough and so was I. I didn't question them on thier decision but I did tell them that I was in the process of slowing from the posted 50 to the posted 40 to no avail. Went to traffic school and picked up another customer while there. Learned a lot too even though I had been driving over 25 years.

These guys were out to write tickets. They were sitting about two blocks after the sign that said 40 zone ahead. They were right at the 40mph sign. I don't think it was fair but did'nt argue the point and took the traffic school to keep it off my record. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Cops in CA must be a bit different if it's that easy to get out of a ticket in Cheyenne. I've gotten maybe 7 or 8 tickets in my life, and I've been pulled over about 12 times. I guess that menas I've gotten out of them 4 or 5 times... I dunno if that's good or not. I am always respectful and honest, I call the cop "Officer" or "Seargent" or whatever instead or "sir", put both hands on top of the steering wheel as they walk to the car, all that stuff. I'm also brutally honest when they ask why I was speeding or doing whatever. Example -

Cop - You know why I pulled you over?
    Me - Probably because of that red light I ran back there (with an "I'm so embarrased" look on my face)
    Cop - So why did you do it?
    Me - I thought that I would make it without a problem and there were no cars around.
    Cop - Fair enough, but I was behind that sign.
    Me - Ohhh, OK, I was wondering where you were... Nice hiding spot!
    Cop - (Chuckles) Yeah, it works pretty well. OK, License and registration please.
    Me - Here ya go.
    Cop - 5 minutes later - OK, here's your ticket, have a nice day.
    me - OK, you too, thanks. ( I don't know why I always thank them, but I always do.)

Seems to me I did everything right on that one, but he didn't let me go. All the other incidents were pretty similar, except for one that the cop had it out for me and wrote me up for 70 in a 40 when I was going about 39. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif He had already decided that I was drag racing (I wasn't), and was a full on dickhead the whole time. He searched my car without asking and had no cause, gave me the full on spread 'em and lean on the hood of the car treatment, everything. I beat that ticket in court though through the use of some math that showed he would have been had to been going over 200 mph to catch up to me if I had been going 70.

Anyways, the point is that I think CA cops are a little different, they're probably so used to CA a-holes that they just can't be swayed very often. Then again maybe 5 for 13 is a good record for getting out of tickets. IMHO, your best option is to be freindly, honest and helpful, that's your only chance of getting out of a ticket.

Another trick that I heard works - join the 11-99 foundation and put the license plae frome on your truck. I keep meaning to do it but haven't yet.
    </font>

9. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ... I beat that ticket in court though through the use of some math that showed he would have been had to been going over 200 mph to catch up to me if I had been going 70....
    Another trick that I heard works - join the 11-99 foundation and put the license plae frome on your truck. I keep meaning to do it but haven't yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

200 mph - cute.

what is the 11-99 foundation?

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> www.chp1199.org

It ain't cheap, so it's not for most people... $1800 for a lifetime membership but it's supposed to be like a "get out of jail free" card with the CHP. </font>

11. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

when cops see 6'8 on my DL they bid goodnight and keep on truckin!

12. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

They must have small cops in WV. In Cali, they just call over the Tazer and Stun Bag gun and wait for the fun to begin.

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    They must have small cops in WV. In Cali, they just call over the Tazer and Stun Bag gun and wait for the fun to begin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except Fresno PD.......

They'll just shoot ya graveyard dead if ya want to play [I love Jeeps] around [I love Jeeps] with them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

That's no fun. The thrills need to be prolonged as long as possible....

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    That's no fun. The thrills need to be prolonged as long as possible....

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the thing though, they do let the thrills abound............

A few months ago, it was the guy that pulled the three robberies off within minutes of each other and then led them off into an orchard.

Somewhere around a month later, it was the guy that kidnapped his G/F and led them on a chase throughout town and finally high centered on the median, so FPD unleashed somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 rounds into the car without hitting a soul. Talk about negative feedback. Was even neat to watch on TV. A cameraman happened to be filming some stock at a gas station on the corner where the chase ended.

And then a couple of days ago, they let the guy walk around for a few hours with an unloaded pistol until FPD erased him from the rolls of the living with 31 rounds. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I think their total for the year so far is up to 9 fawktards they have prevented from being leeches on the justice system.

16. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This has nothing to do with cops, but I've been tazered a couple of times and all it did was royally piss me off. I looked into it after that and from what I understand there are a few ways to get through a tazer hit without getting dropped. Just FYI, in case you ever intend to do harm to me, I would advise a large caliber weapon rather than a tazer. My hip holster sure isn't hiding a tazer. I was leaning toward getting my wife a tazer until I got zapped myself... Now she's getting a .357 Mag minumum.

17. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    when cops see 6'8 on my DL they bid goodnight and keep on truckin!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... the intimidation factor... Next time they'll keep ya pulled over until the SWAT team arrives for backup /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    but I've been tazered a couple of times and all it did was royally piss me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what were ya doing/on?

19. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Does anyone here watch Reno 911?? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

It's one of the funniest shows on TV that i've seen.

20. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    but I've been tazered a couple of times and all it did was royally piss me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what were ya doing/on?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at a buddy's house and he had one and thought it would be fun to tazer a few of us who were hanging out there. It was a few years ago so maybe they're stronger now, I don't know a lot about them. I just know that if I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet on one to protect my wife or myself.

Some other things that people don't necessarly think of where tazers are concerned...

If you have a handheld unit you can use it multiple times, but you have to be within arm's reach to use it. By the time you're in a hand-to-hand situation, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to use it, especially with a small person like my wife. There is probably a better chance that she would be overpowered.

If you use one of the types that shoots a projectile with wires attached, you better hope you hit your mark the first time because you only get on shot. If you are in a confrontation with 3 BG's, one shot isn't too effective.

My wife doesn't like guns, and therefore a tazer seemed to be a good alternative. It's probably better than nothing I guess, but still I would rather see her with a .357...

Sal