Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a question for all you 700r4 experts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by burban33, Mar 7, 2003.

1. burban33

burban33 Registered Member

My transmission was just recently rebuilt. Nothing major just heavy duty clutches and a corvette servo. The only thing with it is it no longer holds first gear. It is weird, before when I shifted into first it stayed in first and now it works the same as being shifted into second. It is weird. I was just wondering if anybody knew why it would be doing this. It isn't a major problem because I am planning on running the new TCI manual valvebody as soon as possible I was just wondering what would make it no longer hold first.

2. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Check your TV cable adjustment. 95 percent of 700r4 problems are TV adjustment issues.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

So you still have first gear while you're driving? I would say your shifter linkage needs to be adjusted.........

4. burban33

The throttle linkage is perfect. It has first gear and it drives fine. When i put the shifter in first (all the way down) it still shifts into second gear. Basically my shift pattern is P R N OD D 2 2, instead of being P R N OD D 2 1. Basically the first gear selection on the tranny is pointless and acts as if it is in the second gear position.
    (Sorry, I am better at explaining through talking)

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm not sure why you referred to the "throttle" linkage.... I was talking about the shifter linkage that connnects your gear selector arm on your steering column to your tranny. Are you 100% positive that when the needle says "1", the proper gear is selected down at the tranny? Have you got under the truck and watched it go through the shifting sequence?

6. burban33

sorry I meant shifter linkage and yes I am 100% without a doubt sure that the right gear is selected. (In fact yesterday I installed a new floor mount shifter but that has nothing to do with this problem because it has been like this for a couple months, it just got me thinking about enough to post to see why)

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

since the 700r4 has a low first gear, the programed the valve body to automactly shift into second after i think 45 mph on a stock truck so that you don't blow the motor or something. if you changed the gear ratio or tire size it will do it before or after 45. you can go to any tranny shop or look in a auto repair manual and they will say the samething. im not sure if a manual valve body is going to change that. The reason it doesn't do it on any other tranny is that the first gear is high enough that it doesn't need to shift. on my truck stock, when i held it into first gear it was hitting about 5000 before it shifted into second.

8. burban33

The thing is that it doesn't hold first at all it shifts out at like 2000 RPM or whatever. It used to work fine but since I got the transmission rebuilt it is working as if the first gear selector on the transmission is pointless since it drives EXACTLY as if it is in second

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im not sure unless the clearances arn't right in the second clutch pack and when the pressure builds they engage so it shifts.